Why Don’t You Have the Conviction to Take a Stand on God? | Corey – USA | Atheist Experience 22.39

Posted By on August 8, 2019

this is gonna be Cory who’s calling from here in the US and you want to know why we don’t have the conviction to take a stand on whether God exists yeah does that sound about right did you want to expound on that at all or like your thoughts well first I just want to tell you I agree with her thing you said about the girl that didn’t stand for the Pledge of Allegiance and I support people’s right and that last caller he sound like a really nice guy and there is etiquette you use on the street you don’t just burn up the pregnant women I can’t lay my hands on you oh at least you would ask right I mean you’re saying you’re saying it seems weird to even ask but there are women who are pregnant we’re like people come up to me and just grab my stomach or my completely bizarre but I support that girl’s right to not stand in Kaepernick there’s a big controversy I support him but I also support people’s right to believe in God in our country sure I don’t think that we’re against people’s right to believe in a god but why wouldn’t you be why wouldn’t I be against your right to believe a thing well first of all it wouldn’t matter if I was against it because I can’t control what people believe so it would be a useless thing to be against but you think I’m dishonest for holding a religious conviction oh no I don’t think you’re dishonest why would you say that why won’t you think I’m dishonest if I can’t prove that my God exists because if you believe it it doesn’t you don’t have to believe things for good reasons yeah but I’m forcing my agenda like on the country like I want abortion hold on you’re asking why I don’t think you’re dishonest yeah if you believe it then you’re not being dishonest you don’t have to be right right if a person believes what they’re saying they’re not being dishonest even if they’re wrong would you agree at least with that again if a person believes a thing even if they’re wrong that’s not dishonest correct okay so if you believe it I’m not gonna call you dishonest for what you actually believe her for and if you believe that it’s your job to promote it you’re not being dishonest you’re doing what you’re you believe is true correct all right okay so we’re good sweetie so we might disagree on things and but maybe we can agree on some of those things sure good I mean if I can’t prove like you say that I have a burden of proof from that if I believe in God and I mean if I can’t prove that guys this does that mean he doesn’t know okay but it does it does raise the question of why would you believe a thing that you don’t have evidence for yeah I mean that’s what we generally ask is what do you believe in why do you believe it and do you care yeah I understand that I’m saying what we usually ask is what do you believe why do you believe it and do you care whether it’s true or not yeah I mean what I believe is I’m a Bible believing Christian that’s what I believe and what I believe is because I choose to mmm if could you choose the fewer standing on a tall building to believe that you could jump off and not die well is it possible to define a law of gravity not that I’m aware of well I mean I mean I could throw up I can throw a pencil off the Empire State Building in if I tied a helium balloon to a witness there I go down but it’s not defying gravity there’s like actual physical laws that explain how that works within gravity too but what I’m pointing out is I don’t think it’s sort of a choice for me whether I would believe I’m going to die or not if I jumped off a skyscraper I don’t think it’s a choice I don’t the idea that beliefs are choices I think that you are either convinced or something or you’re no no let’s put that to the test then mm-hmm I just did right I said if I was gonna I did put that to the test well let me put it to the test let me put it to you in a different way did you believe that God exists no no no I what okay do you care if that’s true it did I guess it depends on what I believe this my lack of belief is true okay all right I’m conveying my mental state accurately I I don’t I wouldn’t know if it mattered whether it was true or not until I under stood I guess the claims being made so we you know we’ve been doing this show 20-some odd years and we’re always asking for evidence for for God and I have yet to hear anything very compelling but yes I mean you may be the guy if I’m wrong about a thing I would want to be corrected if that’s what you’re asking yeah yeah okay but you’re not claiming that there is no evidence you’re saying there’s a lack of evidence and that’s a that’s a big difference it depend it depends on kind of how you look at it some people say that evidence that is uncompelled or irrelevant isn’t really evidence at all and other people say it’s poor evidence so if it depends on how you look at it there’s some people who would say it is evidence but it’s not very compelling evidence and other people would say we don’t go out of her way trying to promote unicorns right if you’re appealing to a claim that unicorns exist I’d say you you lack credibility well no no I think what Don is saying is that if you don’t believe a unicorn eggs it’s like kind of asking me if if unicorns really did exist and my lack of belief was incorrect would I want to know and the answer would be you know like yeah I guess I would I mean if somebody wanted to show me a you know the traditional unicorn that really is there you’re not just like a goat with this with a single horn I’ve seen those before I’d be interested but I don’t know that it would change you know or rock my world right by that’s like saying like leprechauns too right sure yeah it’s exactly like that and like for us that would be the same as saying God well yeah but that’s a category error I think and here’s why because if Matt Dillahunty were challenged say will you do a debate on the existence of leprechauns you laugh at that he won’t take that on but he’d do it on God but you’re you’re lumping um oh no no no I’m let me get in the snow you had to understand it’s categorized for us because we see them as equally likely to exist based on current wait wait wait wait wait based on current evidence we see them as being in the same category as far as our assessment of a likelihood of existing now what you’re talking about wait what you’re talking about is whether Matt would make a decision to debate this that has more to do with the impact on the society so if you’re asking us does do religious claims or do claims of God impact society in a much greater way than unicorns or leprechauns I would say correct it does have a bigger impact on society but if you’re asking do I see any reason to believe it from a category like can i cat if I was going to categorize it with leprechauns fairies unicorns to me it’s it’s very similar it’s just the difference is that more people believe this thing but I don’t see any greater reason to believe it okay I did okay that’s fair thank you well I appreciate when you when you listen and we converse then I think that’s good I think there’s progress being made in this conversation all right well you guys have a nice time okay well thank you for your call Cory we really appreciate it

1. This seems to be the type of smarter theist. Never puts out his beliefs, tries to challenge atheism as if I had an ideology, or as if it actually puts out a positive claim
    Pretty sure he knew all the answers to this already, just wanted to catch a host off guard

2. The jerk ass Christian on the phone was trying to manipulate them into a conversational corner. It’s so disgustingly dishonest. Why do they always have to do that??

3. You can't take OMG and all the other GAWWD smack out of the English language, so rich evangelists wackos and Science denying religious leaders have a stronghold on the collective minds of our children from Christmas toys to all other fantasy games that fight the living dead zombies. It's still nice the hosts of this show don't have to fear being imprisoned or killed by torture in the town square. Like beginning to fight fossil fuel companies to slow down catastrophic rapid global climate disruption, oil spills and fracking that poisons the remaining underground water supplies, fighting back against the poisons of organised religion comes quite a bit to late to educate the information generation.

4. What an utter stupid shit. How the fuck can you be that old and not know the meaning of the words 'honest' or 'dishonest'?!?!

5. So I'm curious what some people would think. Maybe you could "choose your belief" albeit dishonestly.

If you exploited your own psychological biases, tailored your information purposefully, and waited for you to believe could you not call that choosing to believe? Not that I imagine anyone would want to do that.

6. Fairies at the bottom of my garden are more likely than God outside of space and time.
    I have a garden and it has a bottom.
    Is there a place outside space and time ?
    Tme does stop inside a black hole.
    Maybe God lives in a black hole ! Yes !

7. The human body in how intricate it is, shows it was knit and put together by a designer, God. There is no other way it could have come together except by a Creator.

8. I'm going to keep posting this in places because I'm surprised I don't see more people drawing this parallel :
    He sees you when you're sleeping He knows when you're awake He knows if you've been bad or good So be good for goodness sake!
    This is a verse from the Christmas carol "Santa Clause is Coming to Town" but every word of this could also apply to what we are taught about the Christian God. And yet, most of us stop believing in Santa Clause at a young age. So why, then, do people continue to believe such outlandish ideas about this alleged God?

9. If Corey chooses to believe, does that not mean that he is admitting there is no, or at least not sufficient, evidence for the existence of his god? Otherwise he would not have to choose, he would just know there was a god.Thank you so much for doing the show, Don and Tracie. I love the way you argue, with respect and clarity. All the best from Scandinavia.

10. To bad that many christian organizations in the US have many types of oppressive beliefs as well. Not as extreme , but still not good for our country. Thanks to that fact that most christians here don't know there bible and don't live it as it teaches to the letter. The christian god makes his people do many evil things in the bible.

11. These irresponsible US states have let religion turn their own citizens into ignorant, superstitious savages, unable to work in reality, unable to correctly evaluate data, unable to divorce fiction from non-fiction, treating both with the same level of credibility.

12. Your not being dishonest, but your are being ignorant

Ignorant: as in lack of knowledge or information.
    Example: "he acted in ignorance of basic procedures"

13. Don is the worst…. I’ve seen this show for a long time, and I don’t ever remember seeing him contributing to the conversation in a meaningful way.

14. Leprechaun believers are few and far between and don't impose their beliefs on other people or deny them their civil rights the way many theists do.

15. A quick message from a Scot. Well done guys for standing up for atheists. It is way past time that we stopped giving the deluded, the respect they constantly demand or assume they deserve for their idiotic so called beliefs. It is good that you call them out and make them try to explain their mindsets and not let them spout their rot with impunity. Great stuff.

16. Hey dickweeds, your INVISIBLE "God" is just the leading character in
    Hebrew MYTHOLOGY which means he's just as made up as Thor and Zeus.
    Religions are nothing but money making scams because 85% of the donation
    dollars go directly into the personal bank accounts of the church's
    OWNERS as their untraceable TAX EXEMPT income. There are around 2000
    religions in the world competing for YOUR money and the only thing they
    have in common is they believe "magic" created everything.

17. Belief is dishonest.

We use this word "belief" in a way that grants it special status and immunity from scrutiny.

And ignorant and dishonest people regularly and in a very calculating way use this as a shield. If a person extrudes a thought outside of their skull and proceeds to assert it to another being, then we have entered the realm of reason and evidence is mandatory. Belief is adequate for one. But not for two or more.

In other words, the minute your mouth opens or you put pen to paper or finger to keyboard, belief becomes utterly useless. Don't cite it. Don't trot it out. Keep it to yourself. Your beliefs are irrelevant in any venue outside of your own head. Tell us only what can be proven.

18. Helium balloon = defying gravity.

Okay, Mr. Science.

Now, tell us about Jesus H. Flintstone and his miraculous dino-car.

19. Belief in God in itself is not important.
    It's not like believing that Jupiter exists.
    What's important is what God does for you.
    If you give money to the Church, God will help you.

20. Atheists dont match the stereotypes in theists mind, guy has difficulty understanding. Constantly tries to talk over them..of course.

21. By the way, one of my pet peeves is that people almost always improperly speak the name of the famous building with the accent on "State", like "Empire STATE Building". The damn building isn't a "state" building, it's just named after New York's quasi-official nickname, "The Empire State"…so the proper way to speak its name is "EMPIRE State Building".
    EOR
    (end of rant)

22. Tracie makes her points in such a sweet sincere and honest way, that it almost makes her ownage of these idiots even more severe. They are simply dumbfounded.

23. Religions are billion dollar per year scams that "sell" stories in
    mythology for donation dollars. Invisible gods, devils, and demons only
    exist in mythology but the religions claim they really exist and then
    beg their followers to donate 10% of their money to uh "spread the good
    word". By "spreading the good word" they gain more donating members.
    Religions start by indoctrinating (grooming) children with their beliefs
    in an INVISIBLE "God" and then when the children reach adulthood they
    begin donating money and continue donating money until they die. So 18
    to 20 years of grooming nets 50 to 60 years of donating. It's all about
    making untraceable TAX EXEMPT money for the owners of the churches while
    the gullible members never realize their INVISIBLE "God" only exists in
    Hebrew MYTHOLOGY and they're being scammed out of their money.

24. Why do people ask Tracie about what Matt would do, so much? If he wants to know what Matt would say, he should call when Matt is actually on. Smh.

25. Matt would think debating the existence of Leprechauns to be silly because he knows that no one would actually be there to debate for it.

26. God is real I can prove it, try to kill me,god will defend me,go ahead. That person is killed,dead,oh but now I am a martyr. I gave my life for my god. It is all circular logic,all predicated on you giving them cash for your salvation.

27. "Corey, why is it so important to you that others share your beliefs? I think you should mellow out and believe in your God and be happy."

28. Respectfully, the Bible describes a unicorn. To say it is a different category is to indicate that things described in the Bible are of a different category to god. Huh?

29. One of the main reasons I no-longer argue with Christians, is that when they are asked a question, and they think they understand where I’m going, they not only avoid answering the question, (as Corey is doing), they then proceed to tap-dance! But that too is part of the delusion of Christianity.

30. This guy burst in the room like a maniac and Tracie literally grabbed him by the hand, calmed him down and walked him through the longest path of logic his brain had ever experienced. By the end, I feel like he sounded tired and wanted to take a nap and absorb it all. Lol damn I love Tracie.

31. This jackass has been calling TAE for years and he always fails to do anything but sound stupid. This is the same dipshit who didn't know what the word "infallible" means. He doesn't understand the burden of proof. He doesn't understand how to form a logicl syllogism. He can be dismissed without a second thought. Always entertaining, always instructive in how to deal with idiots.

32. Yes, if you think it's imcumbent upon you to promote publicly your religious beliefs to the point of converting others, you're not being dishonest, just presumptuous and arrogant.

33. the callers are either from US(since the show is US based +US is pretty religious) or some Muslim country.. looks like religion is on the decline in other places..

34. I'm pretty sure Matt would've said he's being dishonest. Tracie is so much more tactful about things while getting her point across and Matt just hammers it home from the get go. 🙂

35. After all these reasonable discussions are finished, the fact remains that the whole idea of god/s is absurd. Of course this impossible nonsense monster isn`t real, it`s madness, that for some reason we have to tolerate.

36. Why should you stand for the pledge of allegiance, tradition is a funny old thing. It wouldn't mean anything to me as I'm not from the USA. They are being dishonest to themselves if they believe in the Bible without proof, and then they lie about passages in the Bible, and then say that the Bible is truth and moral when it obviously isn't. Just because you say you believe doesn't mean your being honest !. Answer me this then, when evidence to the contrary is being pushed in a Theists face and he ignores it, what does that tell you! Well it doesn't tell me he is being honest!.

37. The one commonality I have found in almost all of the videos I see on this channel, is the propensity of Christian apologists to consistently interrupt the hosts. Matt sometimes interrupts a caller, but it's usually because the caller is misinterpreting what Matt says and starts to go off on some weird tangent. And Matt interrupts them to pull them back on track.

38. let me make it easier for this guy….. no, there is no good evidence for god. 20 years later and still waiting to see hear a caller present something substantial, at this point I'm beginning to doubt it is going to happen…. He wants someone to debate the existence of leprauchans, but he states clearly he wants to place places in effect based on his religion….. I don't see that happening with leprauchanists……

39. It is Dishonest if you know that your lying to yourself. People do jump off buildings thinking that they can fly. Where have you been Tracie all your life. On your show I see them lying all the time squirming and shifting to maintain the falseness of their claim. The human Brain is highly manipulative by internal and external influences.

40. Tracy is obviously more controlled than this guy and more stable in her views. He tried to be aggressive but Tracy diffused the situation and walked away the victor.

41. Tracie handled caller like an animal trainer with a tiger… caller came out fighting and was subdued with gentle coaxing.

42. I'll tell you what I find dishonest though…when Christian's tell people that they will go to heaven and others will go to hell. Because their actions do not reflect that they believe this.

If you believed in heaven and hell then you would live your life to the word of the Bible…or at least to Christ's teachings. I don't know of a single Christian who lives this way.

Also could you possibly believe in heaven as eternal bliss? I could not feel blissful even knowing that adolf Hitler himself was suffering horribly in hell for eternity. So in this case you are either a terrible inhumane monster or you don't truly believe in heaven and this is dishonest.