The Egg – A Short Story

Posted By on September 16, 2019

You were on your way home when you died. It was a car accident. Nothing particularly remarkable, …but fatal nonetheless. It was a painless death. The medics tried their best to save you, …but to no avail. Your body was so utterly shattered, …you were better off, trust me. And that’s when you met me. “What happened?” “Where am I?” “You died,” I said, matter-of-factly. No point in mincing words. “There was… there was a truck… …and it was skidding.” “Yes.” “I…” “I… I died?” “Yes.” “But don’t feel bad about it.” “Everyone dies.” You looked around. There was nothingness. Just you and me. “What is this place?” “Is this the afterlife?” “More or less.” “Are you God?” “Yes, I’m God.” “My kids, my wife…” “What about them?” “Will they be all right?” “That’s what I like to see,” I said, “You just died and your main concern is for your family. That’s good stuff right there.” You looked at me with fascination. To you, I didn’t look like God. I just looked like some man or possibly a woman. Some vague authority figure, maybe. “Don’t worry,” I said, “They’ll be fine.” “Your kids will remember you as perfect in every way. They didn’t have time to grow contemptuous of you. Your wife will cry on the outside, …but will be secretly relieved. To be fair, your marriage was falling apart. If it’s any consolation, …she’ll feel very guilty for feeling relieved.” “Oh… So, what happens now? Do I go to heaven or hell or something?” “Neither, you’ll be reincarnated.” “Ah,” “…so the Hindus were right.” “All religions are right in their own way. Walk with me.” You followed along as we strode through the void. “Where are we going?” “Nowhere in particular. It’s just nice to walk while we talk.” “So, what’s the point then? When I get reborn, …I’ll just be a blank slate, right? A baby. So, all my experiences and everything, …everything I did in this life, won’t matter?” “Not so. You have, within you, all the knowledge
and experiences of all your past lives. You just don’t remember them right now.” I stopped walking and took you by the shoulders. “Your soul is more magnificent, beautiful
and gigantic than you can possibly imagine. A human mind can only contain
a tiny fraction of what you are. It’s like sticking your finger in a glass
of water to see if it’s hot or cold. You put a tiny part of yourself into the vessel, …and when you bring it back out, …you’ve gained all the experiences it had. You’ve been in a human for the last 48 years, …so you haven’t stretched out yet and felt the rest of your immense consciousness. If we hung out here for long enough, you’d start remembering everything. But there’s no point to doing that between each life.” “How many times have I been reincarnated then?” “Oh, lots. Lots and lots, …and into lots of different lives. This time around, …you’ll be a Chinese peasant girl in 540 A.D.” “Wait, what?” You’re sending me back in time?” “Well, I guess technically. Time as you know it only exists in your universe. Things are different where I come from.” “Where… where you come from?” “Oh sure, I come from somewhere, somewhere else. And there are others like me. I know you’ll want to know what it’s like there, …but honestly you wouldn’t understand.” “Oh…” you said, a little let down. “But wait. If I get reincarnated to other places in time, …I could have interacted with myself at some point.” “Sure, happens all the time. And with both lives only aware of their own lifespan, …you don’t even know it’s happening.” “So, what’s the point of it all?” I looked you in the eye. “The meaning of life, …the reason I made this whole universe, …is for you to mature.” “You mean mankind, you want us to mature?” “No, just you. I made this whole universe for you. With each new life you grow and mature, …and become a larger and greater intellect.” “Just me? What about everyone else?” “There is no one else. In this universe, there’s just you and me.” You stared blankly at me. “But all the people on Earth?” “All you. Different incarnations of you.” “Wait, I’m… …everyone?” “Now you’re getting it.” “I’m every human being who ever lived?” “Or who will ever live, yes.” “I’m Abraham Lincoln?” “And you’re John Wilkes Booth, too.” “I’m Hitler?” …you said, appalled. “And you’re the millions he killed.” “I’m Jesus?” “And you’re everyone who followed him.” You fell silent. “Every time you victimised someone, …you were victimising yourself. Every act of kindness you’ve done, …you’ve done to yourself. Every happy and sad moment
ever experienced by any human …was or will be experienced by you.” You thought for a long time. “Why? Why do all this?” “Because someday, you will become like me. Because that’s what you are. You’re one of my kind. You’re my child!” “Wow!,” you said, incredulous. “You mean, I’m a god!?” “No, not yet. You’re a fetus, You’re still growing. Once you’ve lived every human life throughout all time, …you will have grown enough to be born.” “So, the whole universe… It’s just…” “An egg!”, I answered. “Now it’s time for you to move on to your next life.” And I sent you on your way.

1. A Big Thanks to Andy Weir for allowing us to use his story!
    If you want to support us, please check out those beautiful Egg posters we made: http://shop.kurzgesagt.org

2. I like how this isnt just a theory, its a religion, at least at heart. A religion isnt a theory on how life works and was made. Its a way of life, to make you a better person. Like he said, "All religious are right in their own way".

3. This is something ive been trying to explain to people for so long. Somehow worked it out during that questioning life phase at 17-18. Now all i want in life is to get as many experiences as possible- both good and bad. Everything will teach something after all :3

4. At many points, incorrect and incomplete information was given. These must be corrected. For example, when a person dies, information is not immediately given. Everything is like a dream. Mixed, fast and pointless. The matter is very different. Responds to thought instantly. And one constantly wanders around in his memories. He doesn't realize he's dead, at first. And re-incarnation is not a simple task.

5. I grew up in a strict religious family. This religion taught me that there is one truth. That evil people go to hell. That all other religions were wrong.

A few years ago, I abandoned this religion, still searching for answers. I was looking for a world view, in which everyone is right in their own way. In which there are no objectively wrong answers. Where morality, truth and everything else is subjective.

With the use of some "medication" I tried to work out this idea and explore new ways of thinking about reality. It learned me that time is an illusion, and that even your death is an illusion (as you cannot experience it). And that maybe, the whole universe and consciousness are connected somehow. That our intellect is a precious thing. The idea that everyone is connected and in some way in fact the same person, makes perfectly sense to me.

I watched this video and for the first time, I saw this "feeling" explained in such a beautiful way. This is my belief. I love this view of reality, where everyone is right and no one is wrong. Where we are all the same.

Can someone please tell me what this theory is called? I preferred to use the term "agnostic" but it does not seem to fit. Is it a religion or a philosophy?

6. Jokes aside, this ideal is so much to me. I was raised Christian, eventually became an agnostic. As much as I've denied the ideal of a religious "God", I've never declined the fact that there must be someone out there that created all of this. I will not put "faith" onto any specific "God", but at the same time I find it ignorant to say that this expanse universe came from absolutely nothing. This video has completely opened my mind towards the possibility that is proposed. Like fuck it would be depressing if it was really nothingness after death, but even as an atheist I really don't believe that the after life is complete blackness. There has got to be something, that is what makes death so fascinating. Obviously no one wants to die but fuck, this is by far the most interesting theoretical idea proposing what afterlife I have ever seen. Great video!

7. Eh, I mean I guess you could argue that there was some Logos in this, but the Platonic form of an identity is dependent on so many things, especially time and arrangement of matter. It's almost like people become a different identity as they change in a single lifetime (some people more than others). In that respect you don't have to die to be re-incarnated, however if you accept this fluid identity as being the platonic form of a single person then it kind of make the re-incarnation depicted in this video frivolous. But I'm sure many people thought the video was deep & meaningful, good for them I suppose.

8. Lol what if the exact same thing is happening with the gods? And with whatever higher state of being beyond them? And then? Does it just keep on going and going? You could make a bloody religion out of this

9. I've watched every single video that you have made. But this. This is probably the best video you ever done till now. The sound, the animation, the story. Really, good job.

10. Wait so why do humans not get all that much better as we go on? There’s still serial killers and what not in modern day. Shouldn’t we have worked the kinks out at least a bit at this point?

11. Honestly, the park where the ''God'' says that he made the unvierse for you, its like that for me. I eventually imagine the world like this.

12. I love the emotion I can see in the character's eyes while they're talking to each other. This video is truly next level. Thanks…me.

13. Surprising choice of video. I love the core message of us being one, and thus we should be kind. It resonates a ton with Hinduism and a bit with LDS theology (my own faith). The bit about the wife being secretly relieved felt totally out of place, though. I think it seriously downplays the struggles of single parents. As a recent father, I know I wouldn't be relieved if my wife suddenly died.

14. this is the exact same conclusion i came to on my own, i even predicted the next things while watching this, and i have no prior influence for it other than my own, so to me, this has been my reality, and having another reinforce it, makes it that much more real to me, and here i thought i was crazy but no..it was real..

15. I am so glad there are others that believe in this idea. I've been a believer for over 20 years.
    I can't tell you what it feels like seeing what you think to be true, made into a video and shown to millions!
    It's so empowering…

16. I am so glad there are others that believe in this idea. I've been a believer for over 20 years.
    It's so empowering…

17. But doesn't that mean God has this conversation with each version of me every time anyone (I) dies and if so, don't y'all think God is always super busy given that roughly 1 hundred people die each minute?

18. So the god comes from somewhere else, and there are others like him !! Which is mean there must be somebody who created those gods !! Ok That’s Cool .
    the craziest part of this shit there should be somebody who created those gods who created the gods above???
    can anyone tell me who the fuck created those gods that created our gods whom had us created ??? 👀