“Texas Hero” describes shootout, chase with church gunman

Posted By on October 4, 2019

HAPPENING AND WHAT WAS GOING THROUGH YOUR MIND AT THAT MOMENT? TO ENGAGE. STEPHEN: HE SAW ME AND I SAW HIM. AND I WAS STANDING BEHIND THE PICKUP TRUCK. AND FOR COVER. AND WE EXCHANGED — I AM LIKE, IT WAS SURREAL. IT COULD NOT BE HAPPENING. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT. UM, AND WE EXCHANGED GUNFIRE AND I KNOW I HIT HIM. I DO NOT KNOW WHERE I HIT HIM. BUT I KNOW I HIT HIM. AND HE GOT INTO HIS VEHICLE. AND HE FIRED ANOTHER COUPLE OF ROUNDS THROUGH HIS SIDE WINDOW. I FIRED WHEN THE WINDOW DROPPED, I FIRED ANOTHER ROUND AT HIM AGAIN. ONE AS HE WAS PULLING AWAY. HE TURNED DOWN 539, FARM TO MARKET ROAD 539 AND SPED AWAY. I NOTICED THAT THERE WAS A FOUR-WHEEL-DRIVE DODGE TRUCK SITTING AT THE STOP SIGN AND A GUY HAD WATCHED THIS WHOLE THING TAKE PLACE. I RAN OVER TO HIS TRUCK AND I SAID, THAT GUY JUST SHOT UP THE BAPTIST CHURCH. WE NEED TO STOP HIM. HE OPENED HIS DOOR AND I GOT IN AND WE PURSUED. HE HAD QUITE A LEAD ON US. AND WE TASTE — CHASED HIM DOWN 539. WHEN WE FIRST STARTED CHASING HIM HE WAS OUT OF SIGHT. THE MAN DRIVING THE TRUCK MY FOUND OUT LATER HIS NAME WAS JOHNNY, HE WAS DRIVING AT A HIGH RATE OF SPEED AND WE WERE TRY TO PASS CARS AND CATCH UP. AND WE WERE CALLING 911 AND WE WERE TALKING TO 911 AT THAT POINT. AND WE DID NOT SEE, AT THAT POINT, ANY OFFICERS ANYWHERE. UH, AND THEY WERE PROBABLY HEADING TO THE CHURCH AT THAT POINT. BUT DISPATCH — WE STARTED TALKING TO THEM, THEY SAID WHERE ON 539 IS HE? AND WE GAVE A DESCRIPTION WHEN WE CAUGHT A VIEW OF HIM AGAIN. AND AGAIN WE WERE COMING UP ON HIM PRETTY QUICKLY. AND WHEN WE GOT UP CLOSER, HE PULLED OVER TO THE SIDE LIKE HE WAS GOING TO PULL OFF TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD, AND HE FLOATED DOWN AND I THOUGHT — SLOWED DOWN AND I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO STOP. I REACHED DOWN TO OPEN THE DOORS MY RIFLE STILL IN HAND.-AND HE SPED UP, HE HIT A ROAD SIGN. IT FLIPPED OVER THE TRUCK, AND HE RAN BACK UP ON THE ROAD ANOTHER HUNDRED YARDS DOWN AND THEN DOWN INTO THE DITCH. JOHNNY STOPPED THE TRUCK ON THE ROAD AND I TOLD HIM, GET DOWN, GET DOWN. AND HE GOT DOWN IN THE TRUCK AND I STEPPED OUT OF THE DOOR AND I PUT MY RIFLE ACROSS THE HEAD OF THE TRUCK — HOOD OF THE TRUCK AND WAS YELLING, GET OUT OF THE TRUCK, GET OUT OF THE TRUCK, GET OUT OF THE TRUCK. AND I NEVER SAW ANY MOVEMENT OR ANYTHING FROM IT, BUT I WAS NOT GOING TO LET HIM GO ANYWHERE. UH. AND FINALLY THE POLICE DEPARTMENT GOT THERE. AND UH, [SIGH] — THEY TOLD HIM TO COME OUT WITH HIS HANDS UP. NO RESPONSE. AND AT THAT POINT I HAD ACTUALLY LAID IN THE RIFLE DOWN AND I STARTED BACKING UP, AND HE SAID, NOT YOU. I PICKED THE RIFLE BACK UP AND I HUNG OUT THERE AND I WAITED UNTIL I SAW ABOUT SIX MORE OFFICERS SHOW UP. THEY DID RATHER QUICKLY AFTER THE FIRST ONE. I STARTED TO WALK BACK AND HE SAID, STAY RIGHT THERE. AND I STAYED THERE AND THEY DROVE ONE OF THE SQUAD CARS UP. AND GAVE ME COVER TO WALK BACK WITH THE SQUAD CAR. UH.

1. Thank God for people like you and Johnny. Believed you saved many lives. Thank God for NRA and gun owner rights; our only hope!

2. In my book, Stephen Willeford is the Man!  He and Johhnny stepped up where most would not. His interview with Crowder is excellent too, with some Q&A thrown in, plus many interesting details.

3. What an Awesome and Humble American Hero. How many of us, put in the same situation, would have grabbed our gun and left our house… barefoot no less! Your great actions are a beacon of light. Hopefully, Americans will wake up and stop being pushed around by the Liberal loosers.

4. God bless great sir the actions of you and Johnny are those of people who are heroes honest to god you are and your actions are greatly appreciated

5. Lets get this mans story out there in a big way . more males have to learn how to be a man . i think that is weatern societies biggest problem . This is how you respond to a situation , be it witnessing two men hurting one or a mass shooting . you dont pull out your video phone , you step in and take action . my sons and i will always remember this mans name and actions ! you rock stephen !!

6. Below is a petition to ask President Trump award Stephan Willeford, and Johnnie Langendorff with the Presidential Medal of Freedom. This is the highest civilian medal awarded by the President, for an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural or other significant public or private endeavors. These are the men responsible for stopping the gunman during the Texas church massacre in November 2017. If you would like to sign the petition, it can be found here: https://www.change.org/p/citizens-of-the-united-states-award-stephen-willeford-and-johnnie-langendorff-with-the-presidential-medal-of-freedom

7. This man is still in shock over the events.
    Being afraid and still doing the right thing. Is the sign of a true hero. Bless You Sir

8. Hero my behind. The other white dude managed to kill ten so stop. White Americans' thirst for guns is destroying their own children and country.

9. I'm glad that guy got shot wish someone at the church was packing maybe they could have stop the massacre

10. A brave man. Most regular people, including gun owners would simply hide and only shoot back if they were being targetted.

11. WILLEFORD and JOHNNY ARE HERO'S!!!!! that psycho was definitely going to go somewhere else and kill more. GREAT JOB MEN!!!

12. If he also had a pistol and not an AR-15 things may have turned out differently! Shall not be infringed means we have the right to ALL WEAPONS!

13. Gob bless you for that sir you are a true hero and this proves our point if he didn't have that rifle more people could've been hurt or killer

14. In a society like that full of weapons is good that men like Stephen have weapons. Now imagine the same situation with no weapons of that caliber…

15. Leaves the safety of home, risked his life to see if maybe he could not get shot and save others. May the most high God bless you sir.

16. Am I the only one that thinks that the hero stayed outside and waited to have a better advantage against the gunman? I think that's why he's torn because he knows if he would have just ran in he might have been able to take out the shooter at a much reduced death toll. But I don't blame him there's a 50-50 chance the gunman could have been facing the doorway and killed him instantly.

17. Man you can see he's ate up about the whole thing. He showed bravery and human Compassion. It pisses me off when I hear that all of us gun freaks are just looking for a reason to kill. And this man is a prime example of someone who never wanted to kill a human being. But would kill an evil person if necessary and had the tools.