Pro-Gun Vs. Anti-Gun: Is There Middle Ground?

Posted By on September 19, 2019

the area that i grew up in Sometimes the gun is the only way to protect yourself you’re anti gun you don’t you don’t want nobody To have guns but then that’s gonna put my family at danger The pool to the left i’m gonna have all my pro-gun people go stand on the edge of that light and all my anti-gun people On the other side first statement is i think my views on guns could change oh, i feel like anyone’s views can change on things so i’m kind of surprised that nobody felt like it could change at all i Don’t think that i could change completely to like the other side but i would definitely be open to like looking at it from a different perspective i think that my stance is very accommodating to both sides that said i feel really solid about kind of what i’ve learned And what i think is possible so i feel really solid about that although i’m you know open to accommodating for people’s needs you know people’s wishes with their rights my name is erin clayton after the orlando shooting i realized that My community was very much a target i had to get involved to do something Sometimes i think people on the other side of the issue don’t care about me or my loved ones lives? i mean The area that i grew up in and why come from a lot of you may not be able to understand that sometimes the gun is the only way to protect yourself we all believe there should be certain rules To get in them but on my side of the earth there is no gun laws. My name is Hasani. Regardless of whatever you say there’s always gonna be guns there’s always gonna be violence in the world and I got family to protect. I don’t think y’all don’t care about me or my family you know I think we all care about you know each other and others, you know the loved ones. I don’t care about y’all, I’m trying to protect me and mine. That’s that’s my reason of saying that nobody else cares about it because i’m pretty sure y’all have the same insight, like your anti-gun you don’t you don’t want nobody to have guns but then that’s gonna put my family at danger I don’t want that. I don’t want nobody to have guns. That’s not at all what we’re saying I think that there are ways to-. That’s just how I feel. Pro-gun people a lot of times are like “Well it’s never gonna be solved” like “gun violence is never gonna end” and like. It won’t. It won’t and you’re absolutely correct but there’s a bunch of ways to decrease it i’ve been in a situation in which my life was in danger. I grew up in St. Louis so we’d go downtown where there’s a huge amount of violence. We’re at home depot and this guy’s starting to gather around my dad’s truck and i’m in it alone. i’m 14 years old. And I had to put my dad’s gun out while i’m shaking and literally just set it on my lap and to show that. It ended up potentially violent, potentially robbery, you know. I don’t think people automatically are born are like “I’m pro-gun.” like i think what you experience in your life makes you that way. My name is Sarah it wasn’t until recently that my opinion changed On how i felt about guns and then i became pro-gun in order to protect me and my future family I was never pro-gun before and then some guy broke into my place and raped me and i couldn’t run away I couldn’t do anything like I literally had to lay there and take it but i knew that if i had a gun at that point of time on my nightstand I would have defended myself. I think America has a problem with mass shootings. Yeah, i think we all should step forward for that one. Come on. It’d be ignorant to say it’s not an issue like i don’t want anyone, to die like i don’t want To see these school shootings i don’t want people to get hurt We’re all for protecting ourselves but i think like when guns Are not in the right hands then it becomes an issue. And i don’t think any of us support that at the end of the day. So you all for like stricter gun laws or no? There’s a point where it goes too far. I don’t think i need to take a five thousand question questionnaire for a psychological test, you know? but like isn’t that worth it? and like i’m not saying that that’s necessarily what we would definitely do or whatever but like a five thousand Questionnaire or like people’s lives? Would you rather? Would you be willing to go through the same process to get an automobile training, licensing, (Yeah!) classes, a renewable license. Yeah, yeah but not a psychological test. I think it doesn’t have to be so extensive, what you’re saying but it’s sad how someone can come in to a gun show and have a lot of money buy whatever they want show a little maybe a little card or something and get like maybe 20 guns and no one’s asking you just because you have money a simple background check can just Do a lot for people. But i also think that a lot of people like because they don’t want have the conversation about gun violence. They switch over and say like oh it’s mental illness and like that needs to be talked about too but gun violence is a separate issue that also like really needs to be talked about if my life was in danger i would kill. Oh hell yeah. Can I walk faster? no, i really don’t i think I would have like have it in me. i don’t know if i would have it in me. Anyone you would. Nobody has it In them until the moment comes. Like literally fear doesn’t even become a thing anymore. like it disappears and it’s like fight or flight yeah like and you either freeze and die or you make it. and at the end of the day, i’m gonna make it. some people don’t got it in them you can always just you know, Shoot them in a place where they won’t be able to move yeah yeah! That’s what some people think but but when i went to-. I did my (?) class. They said if you’re trying to shoot him in the leg, you have enough time to get away. Or to realize you’re not in danger Or your life isn’t in danger you know. So they said if you’re pulling that gun out, you’re shooting somebody, you’re shooting to kill. I guess i just i don’t understand- I understand, Fighting for your life that’s why i came to this, to the center for sure. But like all this talk about like how to protect ourselves how to be in these situations but it’s like again we’re just Increasing guns and i i keep just one i want to bring us back to like how can we Combat this from the other end i don’t want to carry guns i don’t want to have guns in my club i don’t want to I want to be there to dance i don’t want, to have a firearm on my leg and like but? yeah, but you’re taking the right away at that point. no
But we’ll wait if i can prove to you that there are ways to enact gun reform that will decrease the amount of guns out there Increase education and not hurt the ability of law-abiding citizens to have access to firearms would you be willing to discuss ways to do that yeah like i said i’m all for education But i don’t think like at the end of the day like if someone’s trying to kill me i’m gonna kill them I’m okay so that’s but that but that is you’re allowed to right now you’re allowed to have that gun and so we keeps kind Of saying w hat we’re is already in place this is already possible to have all of these guns. how can we start looking at this and you know, changing our minds and our congress our government you know leaders minds? You guys keep talking about education but that is not a reality. In that it we’re not allowed to instill reform that gives us gun education. So it’s just like layman’s ideas batting around ideas on how to kill how to kill I’m overall against violence at the end of the day. I wouldn’t need or want to have a gun if there wasn’t violence in the world. Sometimes, it’s a right because it’s a necessity, sometimes. So how do we change? How do we do that? Where we start changing the conversation? Where people don’t immediately relate pro gun to- You know that pro gun can equal pro gun reform. Well I mean that’s why we’re here that’s why we’re all here. We’re all risking something by saying something. I always taught that don’t ever like state your opinion on hot topics because you’re just asking for it at that point but I feel like you have to speak up because being silenced is being just as guilty I think the society needs to learn to speak like educated people need to sit down, come together and talk about things. You guys have something to say and we said it and we accept all of each other’s views. I told you we would not leave hating each other. All right everybody that’s a wrap! Hey guys, i’m Amari. I’m Taylor. Nice to meet you. We disagree sometimes and it’s okay because this is middle ground We hope you guys liked it and we hope that we can continue to bridge people together through videos like this. Please let us know in the comments what side you fall on and what your thoughts are. Tell us why you believe what you believe. Ju-believe. Yes and if you want to see any more middle ground episodes, let us know what you want to see. You guys have the best ideas. Let us know what you guys think, cool? and until next time, subscribe! I’ll see you guys later perfect high-five

1. I'm pro-gun control because the pro-gun argument has a major problem: it assumes that America will always be full of guns and violence (thus creating a demand for methods of protection, i.e. guns). If you assume that, you have to assume that America is condemned to suffer indefinitely and children are condemned to a considerable risk of being shot in school for all coming generations. I can't believe that the gun violence problem is unsolvable. While gun control may leave our generation relatively defenseless, within a few generations it would eventually lead to America being relatively gun-free and save an incredible number of future American lives. Anyone should be able to see that it's a compromise worth making.

2. The problem is that gun laws and gun restrictions would only affect good, law abiding people. There are plenty of ways to get guns illegally and many mass shooters got their guns illegally

3. We already have background checks. Saying we don’t is a lie by the left. We have a right to own guns and you should NEVER let the government limit your rights!

4. This conversation is a moot point if your an American your rights are not negotiable! If our Gov. wants our firearms they are breaking there Oath! Let’s ask our elected reps. To not have a detail with them at any time let’s call and tell them we will not pay for there guards any longer they have to be unguarded just like the people they are suppose to represent!!!!! Peace.

5. THAT shows how america is an uncivilized country. Everywhere in the civilized World there are strict gun laws and there are no real debates about that, because people doesn't need that.

6. You can be interested in guns, buy guns, own guns for safety… and be anti-guns and ask for more regulation !
    Anti-guns doesn't necessary means no guns and no protection, it's just more regulation and more controls. And well maybe, remove the deadliest weapons from the shops… Less freedom for more safety, like the speed limits on the road !

7. I live is Australia and I couldn't imagine having a shooter at my school, the fact that it happens so much in America scares me.

8. This is a completely loaded topic I am pro 2nd ammendment however when it comes to gun violence the real problem is mentally disabled people as well as law abiding people who are legally permitted to have guns do not follow the safeguards of their firearms that allow a mentally disabled person who lives in the same household to have access to those weapons . I believe a person who was killed or arrested while committing a mass shooting an investigation should be conducted how their mental stability passed through the cracks of being reported and accountability should also fall on any family members that allows those insane people to gain access to those weapons

9. I love videos where both sides can rationalize their positions without trying to take the stage or interrupt each other.

10. Violent people can use knifes, fists and basically anything else. How are we going to ban all thoes???

If everyone had a gun, would a mass shooter even think about going into a crowd where everyone can shoot them aswell? It makes everyone protected.

11. On the Pro- Gun side. I don't believe in violence or intent harm, but
    I also believe in self dense in a cruel world like this. If it ever comes to that point.

12. He can prove to us he can reduce deaths and reduce the amount of guns out there (ban all semiautomatic firearms) and still " Have access to guns " ? vs Own them and " have them in your possession " . That's what he doesn't want people to have . Better to have a gun and not need it, than to need one and not have it !

13. I wish this video could be done again especially with people living in Texas since that’s where the open carry law is a big factor. The main reason I want this video done in Texas is because of the open carry law and the ridiculous amount of shootings at public places like walmart

14. lol, the ideology of having gun in US is more of survival. Anarchist? well, the rest of the world bans gun and that explain why US has recurring event of mass shooting. In the eyes of world, you guys are just idiots

15. I get you want protection, but you could use a tazer?, Pepper spray?. You don't have to have a gun. You could throw a brick at someone's head and they could die. The problem is the innocent people being killed by people with guns!. If their was less guns, less innocent people would by dying. It's as simple as that. You don't need a gun.

16. The guy at the club: "I don't want to have a gun in my club, I want to dance". Completely reasonable request. If the club won't allow patrons to have them that's their right. But they should provide the security then for the patrons safety. Because if the club cannot provide adequate security and I go there and someone shoots the place up, then the club is responsible and liable. You cannot say you are in charge of my security, hamstring my ability to provide my security, and not be liable. Basic common sense.

17. In Australia we have extreme gun laws so it’s almost impossible so so hard to get a gun illegally it’s impossible to get it and I don’t think that it’s as much of an issue as it is in America because it’s so easy to import illegally

18. No democrat or republican law is ever followed by criminals or mentally ill people
    The United States has prospered more than other countries because no tyrant has been able to subdue the American people with violence. thanks to the second amendment
      Stop playing with fire.
    eliminate violence by promoting, mutual respect and consideration, faith, etc.
      instead of asking the government to become a tyrant prohibiting constitutional rights

19. Just suppose, that we treat cars and drunk driving exactly the way we treat and legislate gun laws.

Seneario: A very intoxicated driver caused a multiple car accident which resulted in the deaths of all occupants of the first vehicle, the deaths of two others in a second vehicle, and severe (but survivable) injuries to the driver of the third vehicle…

Response: Enough's enough, we need to enact common sense driving laws. Congress bows to the will of the people, and enacts a law prohibiting SOBER people from owning and operating motor vehicles that have automatic transmissions, and are capable of exceeding 10mph.

20. we need to stop making laws for legal gun owners cause thats gonna make people want to get illegal guns because its easier.

what we need to do is make way more hardcore laws about illegal guns for EX: illegal gun dealers should get life in prison. that thought alone willl make illegal dealers think 5 times harder before even consider selling a gun. That way people have no choice but to get a legal guns the right way.

21. I know this, the Marxism that is being heavily pushed from The Left, can't subjugate an ARMED populace. The 110,000,000 deaths at the hands of ruthless Marxists over the last 100 years have all began with the DISARMING of the Citizens. Once DISARMED, Citizens become Subjects and no longer enjoy Rights. They do as they are told or else. Marxism always takes a nation from some level of success to abject poverty. The misery that follows that level of doing without necessities and starvation, once they do run out of other people's money and have to go Totalitarian to keep any sort of order, that level of misery is one of the reasons we should listen to our immigrants about the Marxist (Communist/Socialist) hell-holes they fled. "Don't give up your guns". Don't fall for "Progressives". Don't give up your guns America.

22. I think the biggest issue is people don't realize that not everyone is a happy friendly person, some people are genuinely out to hurt others. Guns maybe the biggest threat now but what happens when technology progresses and there is a scarier monster on the market/black market. My greatest fear is one brainiac will turn into a maniac and doom us all.

23. I became even more pro-gun after I saw someone try to rob my neighbors house the other day.

Luckily no one was harmed but what if he had a gun and shot me cuz he knew I saw him.

24. Over 75% of shootings in America are committed with guns obtained illegally. Making them illegal will increase burglaries due to a smaller fear of being shot. This is why I’m pro-gun.

25. I like how the pro gun ppl aren’t just kinda anoying they all understand the gun vialinse and all have real reason for wanting it and I respect that

26. Oh these anti gun ppl make my blood boil , it would be so much easier to pass a law that would make violence against another person illegal because criminals follow laws

27. This is a hot topic and I see both sides. I think the first thing America needs to do is listen to each other like these ppl did right here. At the end of the day both sides want the same thing, no violence.

28. i dont think america has a problem with school shootings. we cant blame it on america, its mental illness. the people in america have issues, cant take it out on all of america.

29. There are sheep who don't have it in them to preform necessary violence of action to protect their lives and the lives of others. They are kind hearted devoted to peace and they fallow the voice of the Good Shepherd. And then there are wolves who hate that Shepherd and his fragile sheep desiring to devour them when the opportunity presents itself. And some wolves pretend to be sheep and wear sheep's clothing to hide amongst the sheep; concealing their intent they prey upon the sheep in secret .These wolves they don't care about the laws; but for them there exists only two strength ,and dominance over the weak .
    And Then you have the sheepdog who at first glimpse appears to be a dangerous and vicious wolf; yes he's built for a fight like the wolf but when he walks amongst the sheep you quickly realize that he isn't there to harm them , but protect them he will! The sheepdog is to guard the Shepherd's flock with a natural longing for a righteous battle and his courage there is none alike! The sheepdog understands sacrifice above self, and will defend the lives of the sheep or die trying !

30. Point is ; sheep will always be sheep , wolves will always exist. And yes sheep, and sheepdogs can be friends. But you can't defang the sheepdog expecting the wolves will stop preying on sheep!

31. The one girl was talking about the gun show loop and she was so wrong. Come on don’t speak about something you haven’t done your homework on. Also there is no gun show loop. When you buy a gun you have to do a backroad check no matter what.

32. every time i hear 7:15 no not successfully australia "bought" back 1/3 of the firearms in their country criminals don't follow laws otherwise there would be no murders, burglaries, or rapes.

33. it is dangerous and scary that people from the US or especially these six people admitted the fact of a none gun law and start to think about protective himself. They lost the freedom of not always thinking about you could be in a dangerous situation and you need a gun. Instead of stepping back because other countries have gun laws and do not have thoughts like these every day. I know it because in my country we have these laws. Even though it is simple to get them and lower the fear in these peoples life’s as in this video

34. Maybe I am not well informed. But I keep asking myself these questions: why does America have guns in the first place? Why can citizens own a gun? People just like in this video say you need a gun to protect yourself, but why do you need to protect yourself with a gun, if there is no gun out there at all? Yes for the people who really want guns for the protection, owning one would make them feel safer, but when guns get into wrong hands, the result would be extremely detrimental, just like the big mass shootings that have been going on last few years in America.

Also even when the background checks are done carefully and elaborately, you never know how people would turn out. The high social status or not having a mental illness can easily deceive the system. For example the Las Vegas shooter.

I am sure the problems are complicated than it seems to be, but can someone please answer the questions I have?

35. This is the first of these videos I've seen where neither side really had much to say to defend their argument except maybe Aaron, who tried discussing ways of finding that middle ground. I'm anti-gun and extremely open-minded, but either there aren't many valid arguments for having a gun or the three people they selected just didn't do a good job in convincing me why I should be pro-gun.

36. I understand the reasoning for the people who are pro gun in this video but at the same time I still can’t understand why they believe guns are good. I live in a dangerous area and I went to a high school with a very bad reputation. In my town, guns have done more harm then good. In high school, my boyfriend’s lab partner shot a 10 year old boy and his mother, a 23 year old boy was killed this summer after getting shot, a few years ago a cop shot and killed his ex wife in the car while his young daughter watched. And that’s only a couple out of the many examples I can talk about. None of that would have occurred if we had some form of gun regulation, and I can say with confidence that those three instances were not simply due to mental illness. And this whole thing with “you can still buy guys illegally” yes I understand that but taking regulating them legally would reduce the amount of guns on the black market. I know that we will never be able to get rid of all guns, but we really need some form of regulation because the current system obviously isn’t working and the fact that America is still allowing all of this violence continue is absolutely heartbreaking.

37. People who want to use guns to hurt people will find ways to continue to get them illegally. Or they will use knives or make bombs, or use gas… the list goes on. But also we have the guns not just to protect ourselves but to defend against the government if it becomes super corrupt and tyrannical. If we don't have them and things turn for the worse how could we stop them?

38. Well, EVERYONE has forgotten (as they have been instructed to by the govt.) what the 2nd Amendment IS about. It is not about hunting. It is not about target practice. It is not about a desire to own a gun. It was and is about freedom and protection from tyranny. 'Congress shall pass no law', is there for a reason.

The gun crime and mass shootings that occur have reasons that should be addressed. The violations of law in possessing guns by felons and adjudged unstable people, ect. are there to give the protections from 'guns' that is being discussed here (even though the protections are from those people not their tools). What a neat thought about licensing like with cars…except that you have NO human, Constitutionally protected right to own a car. You do with a firearm.

We shouldn't have to ask, get permission from and provide information that we have a firearm to the very people that ownership of that firearm is there to protect us from. Do you go find you local home invasion burglar and ask him if you can have a gun and tell him when you get one? Of course not.
    "The Shot Heard 'Round The World" was fired by the govt (British) in their attempt to take guns away from the colonists. The guns they were attempting to take were EXACTLY like the ones in the hands of the soldiers and were then used to create the greatest and most free country ever on the face of the earth.

2 questions:

1) Why would we do this?
    2) Why would 'they' want us too?

39. Guns are illegal in the UK. But you know what? They have 40,000 stabbing a year. Either way people will find a way to harm each other, doesn’t mean we should take away our rights. In drunk driving incidents we blame the driver, in suicide bombings we blame the bomber, so why in cases like school shootings do we blame the guns?

40. Truth be told the US has too many illegal guns circling around that if you ban legal guns the criminals will be the only ones that has weapons.

If the US government wants to actually take guns away from the people, human rights would have to be violated. That the country itself will have to be a totalitarian police state that will search people homes without warning and seize the guns at any means possible.

These people who is against guns won’t support this kind of tactic as well to take guns away from people.

It’s actually easier to get an illegal gun compare to get a legal gun. Because gun law itself is pretty harsh. Most gun violence in the US are caused by criminals with stolen guns.

It’s so easy to get an illegal gun from the streets that it’s a joke. Literally I could go to a bad neighborhood and some guy would offer me a gun at a discounted price since they stole that gun from someone.

41. Cigarettes killed over 480,000 people in 2017 according to the CDC, less than 40,000 were killed by gun and 60% of that was suicide.

42. This is great. I appreciate that you encourage conversation and civil dialogue. This holds people responsible for their beliefs, and gives them a way to rationalize and explain their different beliefs.

43. This is my opinion but I believe that if people became more spiritual it could help hopefully cuz if it does work then let's get on top of that, but I also believe that there are too many guns here and taking them is just going to be an even more bloody battle because some people will die for the 2nd amendment and people have died for the 2nd amendment

44. I think the argument should really be: "pro-assault rifle vs anti-assault rifle." I'm strongly against guns like the AR-15 or AK-47, but I see no issue with owning a regular pistol or shotgun. I think that's probably how most "anti-gun" people really view it.

45. 3:48 that settles it, we need guns to protect our family and ourself, a criminal will always find a way, if not with a gun , a knife.

46. I live in Australia where we don't have guns and there is little to no gun violence, so surely that shows that having no guns does improve everyone's safety

47. These people are so grossly misinformed they can't have a very constructive conversation. The guy with gray hair, the white girl & the blackwoman were making flat out false statements.

48. You do realize mental illness and psychological disorders exist in every single country no? That argument of "it is not the gun, it is the person" gets very old because mentally ill people in countries without gun access do not go to a school and shoot left and right. And that is because they don't have access to guns.

49. I feel like the USA is past the point of no return with gun violence. I think the best option would be to have better education, which pays teachers better.

50. I mean, just look at any country where guns are prohibited. I live in France, we don't need guns to defend ourselves cause there is no gun to defend ourselves from.
    I don't feel threatened, I don't need a gun because I know nobody will try and use one on me.

The fact they can't see and understand that shows how far down they are into the rabbit hole of gun usage.

51. I was hoping they would ask some gun-toting white people why they want to carry guns so badly? Who are they protecting themselves from when they are the problem?

52. My father had a gun… didn’t know it at the time mental illness was surfacing… he shot our family dog because he thought the dog was bugged by the government. When he spoke of sacrificing his daughters and the government chasing him he thought of taking action to protect himself for survival. If I had my own gun to protect myself I wouldn’t need to sleep with my bedroom door locked just in case… so I see both sides.