Nepotism In and Around the White House | The Daily Show

Posted By on October 18, 2019

The truth is,
your name could be a big reason that you get a leg up in life. Like, I know for a fact, I know the only reason
I got to where I am today is probably because
my great-great-grandfather built the Ark.
Like, I… you know? I accept that.
What can I say, man? My great-great-gramp,
he loved boats and watching animals (bleep). -(laughter)
-Now, with that said… That’s what he was doing
on the boat. Th-That’s… it’s normal. Now, with that said,
with that said, you can’t deny…
it’s not a good look that a Ukrainian company
hired Hunter Biden just months
after Joe Biden became the Obama administration’s
point man on Ukraine, because it looks very much
like he got this business because
of his father’s position. And I understand
why a lot of people would complain about that. What I don’t understand
is why these people are complaining about that. Let’s talk about
the double standard. What do you guys think
would happen if Donald Trump Junior went to China and came back with 1.5 dollars? No, no, not $1.5 billion, just 1.5 dollars. Can you imagine if I took
three cents from the Ukraine or four cents from China? I mean, it’s-it’s unbelievable. We gave up our entire business so my father could run
for president. We don’t do anything
overseas anymore. We gave up… We didn’t have to. Do you see me on any boards?
Do you see Don on any boards? Do you see Ivanka on any boards? Okay, first of all,
I’m not surprised nobody has put
Beevis and Forehead on any corporate boards. (laughter and applause) That’s-that’s not,
like, a… a scandal. That’s not a thing. I don’t even think they’re
allowed on diving boards. It’s just like, “No, Eric, “you’re jumping
off the wrong end. Jump into the wet part, dude.” And secondly, and secondly, if there was ever an example
of people who got opportunities because of their names,
it’s these two. I mean, Donald Trump Jr.
just got paid $50,000 to give a speech at a college. If he wasn’t Donald Trump’s son, why else would they
be asking him to speak, huh? To share his expertise
on bad beards, huh? Uh, or would it be more like,
“Ladies and gentlemen, “a man who once sat
on a tree stump. Don Jr.” He’s like, “So, what happened
was my bunions were acting up, “and there was no chair
in sight, “but then I remembered
someone once told me “stumps are okay to sit on. Thank you. Good night.” (laughter) Also, also, if Trump’s sons
are actually concerned, like, truly concerned about children of politicians
doing business overseas, then can someone
please explain to me why they’ve been doing this? NEWSWOMAN: Trump promised
no new foreign deals, but that hasn’t stopped
his family from continuing business
overseas. The Trumps have plowed ahead
with deals in India, Indonesia, Uruguay
and the Philippines that were already in the works
before Trump took office. NEWSWOMAN 2: By Wednesday,
Eric Trump will have gone to four countries
on Trump company business since January 1. In early January,
it was a trip to Uruguay for a glitzy party
to promote a new property. NEWSMAN: This morning,
Donald Trump Jr. is in India to promote Trump-branded condos
in two cities there. As a business,
we’re gonna continue to run. We have incredible assets
all over the world, uh, that we’ll continue
to operate and to grow. Yeah, that’s right.
Even with their dad in office, the Trumps are still growing
their business in places like India,
Philippines, Indonesia, Uruguay. They’re all over the world.
It’s like The Amazing Race with no running and no chins. Don and Eric are doing
so much international business, it almost feels like
Donald is just trying to not spend time with his sons,
you know? It’s almost like he’s like,
“Boys, I’ve got a new business for you to take care of.
It’s on Mars.” He’s like, “But, Dad, there’s
no way to get back from Mars.” “And I appreciate
your sacrifice. Bye-bye.” (laughter) And I know this is crazy to say,
I know this is crazy to say, but at least Donald and Eric are one step removed
from the presidency, because there are
other Trump children who are in business
and government. NEWSWOMAN: Jared Kushner
and Ivanka Trump’s roles in the White House opened up
another potential avenue for foreign influence. Officials
in at least four countries talked about ways
they could manipulate Kushner, in part by taking advantage of his complicated
business entanglements. NEWSMAN:
Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner took in as much as $135 million
in revenue last year. That includes almost $4 million
Ivanka Trump pulled in from her stake
in the family hotel here near the White House where diplomats
and foreign dignitaries spend big money. NEWSWOMAN 2:
Last year, China approved more than a dozen trademarks for Ivanka Trump-branded
products. The timing,
just as the U.S. and China were trying to restart
trade talks, raised eyebrows. Okay, come on. China approved
a dozen trademarks for Ivanka right as her dad was negotiating
trade deals with China? You can’t tell me
that’s not suspicious timing. I mean, it’s like
how right before Christmas, my mom said that
a horrible accident happened at Santa’s factory. Yeah. How do this… How does this
happen every year, Mom? Huh? They need to look into
safety regulations at the factory,
or I’ll never get my toys. And China does not mess around
with its trademarks. That would… That’s what
you have to understand. For instance, Michael Jordan
had to fight for four years to trademark himself. Yeah. The Chinese courts argued that this
was not Michael Jordan. Yeah. They were like,
“No, that could be anyone.” They were like, “Yeah,
I was jumping the other day. Who knows? That’s me.
That could be me.” That’s how crazy they are
about trademarks. And, I mean, that’s wild.
This would be like saying that this isn’t Don Jr. I mean, no one else has ever sat
on a stump like that. -(cheering and applause)
-We know who that is. Stump man, stump man, stump man. Now, let’s be clear.
Let’s be clear. I’m not defending Hunter Biden. I don’t know him.
I don’t know about his business. All I’m saying
is that the last people who should be talking
about the blurred lines of family names
and political influence are the people currently running
their home office from the White House.

1. Count on the trumps to transfer their guilt to everyone else. The liar in chief still controls his company where jr., works when he is not involved in White House affairs he has no business in. The liar in chief and ivanka, lock her up, both are using the White House to make mega deals. ivanka the criminal daughter has received 7 trademarks in China in record time. Of course the liar in chief, his daughter and her husband and staff stay at trump resorts at insane prices none of his base supporters could afford for a day. The trump's are getting rich off your tax dollars and you do not complain, then your idiots. Though that has been manifest by trump supporters.

2. Talk about deflection. The Trumps were rich before politics, the Bidens got rich because of politics. There’s a big difference.

3. This shit should literally have disqualified Trump (well, this and about 12 other things) before he even "swore" to uphold the Constitution.
    This shit is an impeachable offense in and of itself; but we have a Republican Senate, so that's literally impossible to do.
    Watch Trump win in 2020. I wouldn't even be surprised

4. I watched clips of your show every day, but making a nasty joke about a Prophet of God is really bad, I wish you wouldn’t have done that. That was my last time watching this show

5. Trevor. Idiot. The difference is they were using GOVERNMENT office to get positions of power . That is called corruption you fucking moron.

6. Trevor ignores Hillary is a lesbian pedophile who did rape under age girls on her 6 trips to Epstein's sex island. He's a pathetic coward who ignores the vileness of his liberals to attack only the conservatives. He's just a hater.

7. What was that about being on a billboard?

8. A president technically can still run that type of business legally. Trump just closed it as a show of good faith politically. Educate yourselves on our foundation.

9. As much as I wish children of politicians, unless they want to follow in their parents' footsteps and pursue a public service career, would just get a regular job, I've accepted the fact that nepotism is as American as apple pie. But seeing these two chuckleheads – Don Jr. and Eric – complain about nepotism is as ironic as seeing those old photos of a glassy-eyed Elvis shaking hands with President Nixon in 1970 as Nixon deputized him in his campaign to convince young people to stay away from drugs! One thing the Trump children seem to have inherited from their dad is their total lack of self-awareness.

10. I guess I don’t understand why his children should have to give up their jobs just because their dad is in office. If don is removed from it then what’s the problem? Honest question because I’m a little confused about this one.

11. Analogi yg sama jika nama dan bayangan diklaim…setidaknya royalti atas nama itu tidak ada, bayangan yg diabadikan sepertinya menuntut, begitupun dengan nama seharusnya menjadi brand ternama jasa traveling laut.

12. You could add that moment when Kellyanne Conway explicitly encouraged people to buy Ivanka products. Or just recently, when the D decided to hold a G7 summit at his own resort. Presidency for his own gain – could it get any more obvious?

13. I'm Sure the Farmers are Happy for their CHOSEN ONES Kids Making money while they are going BUST. They appear to be grateful for the SOCIALIST Handouts They are getting, while denouncing the Socialist Left. It would be Funny if it weren't INSANE!!!!!!

14. I wish I had connections like that. instead im unemployed with a worthless biomedical engineering degree, I hope I die soon.

15. Trevor Noah. Please stop using these movie names. That "Dirty Pencing" was too funny. "Dad, where's my job?" Tho
    🤣🤣😂😂😂🤣

16. It would be a tragedy for the next generation of Americans, if the Trump family becomes the next Kennedy family, a dynasty. I hope not to see that in my old days.

17. Not really sure why one of the richest and the most free nations on earth put up with these corrupt, neopotistic, swindlers, like wth are you doing? Get your politics straight.

18. HINDUS gave one Million dollars for President Trump's election and got over 50 permanent seats in the Congress of United States of America.. Plus lot's of Electronic FRAUD these Hindus has been doing Gaining favors in all Political Parties and Isreali Parties.

19. I give them a pass on the PRE existing deals outside the USA they would never give up on money, but that Ivanka trademark stuff is super sketchy… Someone get the transcripts for the calls with China!

20. Trump does all the seedy corrupt shit in the open that Biden dies behind closed doors. The game is rigged, both sides are disgustingly corrupt and deserve to be thrown out of public service.

21. 3:05 That is not the "Cond–" I expected to hear. Don and Eric would be great for advertisements for the one I was expecting.

22. If it is nepotism we are talking about, my first point would be how come Beevis and Butthead took over the Trump Corporation by default, because they aren't the most qualified. Plenty of people were interviewed: I mean, what about Snooki, or Lil Jon, or Khloe, or Bret Michaels? Sharon Osborne? Dennis Rodman? All were successful without a billionaire Dad. Amirite?

23. TREVOR NOAH – A BRIEF BIO: Born & braised in a South African't kraphole, Noah then escapes to the generous USA where in exchange for his warm reception he immediately sets out to make a "career" for himself/sheself/whatever (I don't know Trev's preferred pronouns, sorry) by criticizing and condemning the very same government that gave him refuge, all of which is delivered by Noah in the low-handed and cowardly fashion that infamously characterize his/her/they's styles.
    see also: ungrateful douchebags, clowns, human feces

24. Like father like sons.
    When they, on one hand, blame other for doing shitty things, and on the other hand, constantly shove their own shit into their stupid mouths.

25. No don .jr gets his money from Russia and Ivanka getting her money from China, and of course Hunter Biden gets his money from Ukraine impeach Trump and Biden.

Also Trump children and Trump himself are not welcome in the emergency mars colony that where scientist are going to get away from stupid people killing the earth.

26. Strange logic, Trevor. Its like saying that the last country in the world, ho should be able talk about influence in election is US.

27. I think trump and Biden should be investigated and charged if they committed crimes. Both need to be held accountable. Not a left vs right thing but an honest vs dishonest thing. No one is above the law. But in the 21st century it's clear we've lost our democratic republic. Trump has destroyed the US constitution. It was a good run but with ignorant voters and ignorant politicians it's bound to happen

28. Incorrect to use whataboutism by Trevor. Better "So they understand it is incorrect! Now let's help them to get it fixed internaly first!"