Lent – a season of repentance, prayer and fasting HD

Posted By on October 5, 2019

Lent is a season of repentance prayer and fasting The season lasts for 40 days beginning with ash, Wednesday and ending [with] Easter The season reflects the [40] days jesus spent in prayer and fasting in the desert before starting his public ministry Lent is also observed by many other Christian denominations Lent begins the morning after Mardi Gras or fat Tuesday Mardi Gras was traditionally a day of reasonable indulgence prior to the beginning of the [40-day] period of prayer and fasting The morning after his ash Wednesday [a] day when catholics engage in prayer and fasting and attend mass to receive ashes on their heads as a sign [of] penance Ash Wednesday is the first day of lent Resistance to temptation is an important spiritual exercise practice during lent Many Faithful will make a little sacrifice Giving up something dear for the 40 day period So they will become capable of filling themselves with Christ instead In addition to giving something up others may take on additional responsibilities chores or penances Fasting is standard practice in simplest form Catholics will fast by abstaining from meat on Fridays fish is permitted as a substitute few people [actually] skip meals Instead they substitute fish or vegetarian dishes on Fridays for meat dishes It is common for some to dine in restaurants on Fridays instead of preparing the meal at home restaurants often serve clam chowder and fish on Fridays to cater to Catholics However the piety of these events is dubious since people are making only a marginal Sacrifice by going to restaurants, and they are not genuinely fasting at all Regardless of how a person chooses to keep their Lent and fast the practice is regarded as highly personal it is generally Inappropriate for others to judge the piety of another’s practice. It is also inappropriate to make a contest of one’s piety Sundays are not part of the Lenten fasting period Instead Sundays are accepted because they are celebrations of the resurrection of Christ Each Sunday is a mini easter Therefore it is appropriate for people to partake of whatever they may have given up for the forty days of lent For example a child that gives up sweets for lent may freely partake of them on Sundays during lent Special prayers are offered during Lent the [stations] of the cross which follow Christ [of] his condemnation to his entombment are practices or form of devotion Some Catholics pray the Sorrowful mysteries of the rosary instead of the traditional Joyful mysteries on Sundays during lent But there is no official rule and Catholics are free to pray whichever mysteries they choose The colors of Lent are purple which is the traditional color of penance and mourning as well as the color of royalty Which symbolizes Christ’s status as our king The last week of lent is known as holy week, and it begins with palm Sunday one week before easter on Palm Sunday the faithful recreate Jesus’s arrival in Jerusalem by welcoming him with blessed palms Often the [priest] or volunteer from the congregation will play the part of Jesus in a ceremonial procession On Holy Thursday the last supper is celebrated on good Friday the trial suffering and crucifixion of Christ is commemorated Easter Sunday marks the end of Lent at the beginning of Easter To learn more about Lent visit Catholic.org and if Lent inspires you or someone you know Shop for Lenten items at Catholic shopping com for one-of-a-kind shopping experience Don’t forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel Tell us how much you love our video in the comments below [oh]

1. Thank you for this. I'm almost 60 years old and have observed lent all these years but recently have become forgetful and have been asking why do we do these things. I'm grateful for your YouTube videos which have helped me immensely to battle senility or whatever this is and remember what I'm doing for Christ and why. Thanks again.

2. Thank you for this posting this video. I have decided to really try to connect with God during Lent and participating in Fasting and Abstinence and test my spiritual strength as Jesus was tested during the 40 days in the desert before starting his ministry work. I have been raised a Catholic from birth and I feel that Lent will help me rekindle my relationship with God. May God Bless You…

3. Wish this video could play on TV as a way to remind Catholics the importance of Ash Wednesday and Lent and a platform to inform the uninformed.

4. Although simplified, it's an excellent tool for children and adults. Catholics often forget and need reminders of why we do the the things we do! Lent – a time of sacrifice and the reason to kneel at the cross of Christ. For every eye shall behold Jesus. Every tongue must confess Jesus and all knees will bend to Jesus, for He is the King of Glory!

5. Thank you for sharing…
    I am also sharing this with family, loved ones & friends…
    Have a meaningful Holy Week…

6. I am a Protestant but I really, really love the idea of Lent so I am going to participate in it this year. I look forward to drawing closer to God and Christ through Lent.

7. Am so happy and grateful to those who prepared it. May God bless us. I am certainly convinced that I will one day go and meet with my Father who calls me the beloved. I believe in death with resurrection. May God bless us

8. Thank you for sharing this video! Do you have some videos on things like "prayers to say during Fridays within the Lenten season"?

9. Thanks for this channel and for your videos. This channel is complete for me because I am not only watching and listening, but I am also reading and taking notes from it. For me this year is my best lent where my faith grow deeper… Thanks Catholic online.

10. I love going to a big ass steakhouse on Ash Wednesdays and feasting on a steak cuz it's usually not very busy hehehe.

11. With the season of Lent coming next month, it’s going to be a perilous journey for me. But with Jesus on my side, I can resist any temptation that stands in my way.

12. The cuisine is not into what believe
    If not the country we live
    Can’t you said Catholic food
    Jewish is because they are only the DNA
    But the others can be any faith and beautiful food
    Like Hindu food
    Or Israel food is yum
    Arabian
    Italian
    African
    Etc is nothing to do with religion
    Is something to do with traditions and culture who is different

13. I am protestant but in recent years I have taken Lent much more seriously. However I dont "give something up" for Lent. I feel if it is sinful you should abstain from it all year long.

14. Thank You for uploading this on you tube..God the Father,and God the Son, Lord Jesus Christ and the The Holy Spirit are always guiding and protecting you,and the people who believed and reach out in them,through Prayers,Repentance,and Fasting,especially this coming Lent..

15. 1. Historians agree that the gospels (written in Greek, by unknown authors, from 70 to 140CE) portray Jesus as famous far and wide, a prophet and healer, with great multitudes of people who knew about him, including the greatest Jewish high priests and the Roman authorities of the area, and not one person records his existence during his lifetime? If the poor, the rich, the rulers, the highest priests, and the scribes knew about Jesus, who would not have heard of him?
    Amazingly, we have not one Jewish, Greek, or Roman writer, even those who lived in the Middle East, much less anywhere else on the earth, whoever mention him during his supposed life time. This appears quite extraordinary, and you will find few Christian apologists who dare mention this embarrassing fact.

2. The world has been for a long time engaged in writing lives of Jesus… The library of such books has grown since then. But when we come to examine them, one startling fact confronts us: all of these books relate to a personage concerning whom there does not exist a single scrap of contemporary information — not one! By accepted tradition he was born in the reign of Augustus, the great literary age of the nation of which he was a subject. In the Augustan age historians flourished; poets, orators, critics and travellers abounded. Yet not one mentions the name of Jesus Christ, much less any incident in his life. – Moncure D. Conway [1832 – 1907] (Modern Thought)
    Jesus is all myth!

16. This video was very well put together! Lent will start on March 6 in 2019! Question is what to sacrifice! Good thing I have alittl while to think about it!

17. I did not know that we could indulge in what we gave up for Lent during the Sundays of Lent. Did I understand that correctly?

18. Ash Wednesday is not biblical. Christ nor the Church celebrated it. It is pagan. It's not in the scripture. Read and search for yourself. It leads to another non scripture holiday, 'Easter'. It's all Babylon, Egyptian based. Just an FYI. You make the decision.

19. Thanks for the video, but I was very disturbed by the line:
    " Lent is also observed by many other Christian denominations. "

Please correct this as this implies that the Catholic Church is a "Christian denomination".
    You could say instead that " Lent is also observed by many protestant denominations. "