Latinos Share Their Church Stories

Posted By on August 16, 2019

so there was this one really cute girl at church one day she comes up to me and she’s like yeah we’re cousins [Music] our whole incentive as kids to get up and go to church was like cool we’re gonna get jelly doughnuts after and like that’s our Sunday other things I was like I look forward to a church afterwards you got the corn guy corn guys what they love there’s just like going ham the only reason why I would go to mass on Sundays was for the menudo after YUM when I finally did get a try communion I don’t know why I expected to taste like pizza now you see everybody line up to eat the bread oh man I won’t eat that bread too but the day that I got to eat it was like this is nasty son if there was one thing I could change it would definitely be to make the body of Christ taste like pizza uncle used to play in a band is like a Dominican Church that they play meting band was just like a like a husband and a wife she’s like we should switch up the songs oh so in an alga Bosso in Larnaca humble and a little effect that Alleluia this is how my confession went mm-hmm I forgot what you say do confession I know it’s nervous but he’s not gonna judge you he heard it all that’s the whole point you say everything and I tell him I may have downloaded some nudie photos off LimeWire once or twice I remember thinking like oh I have all these things that you tell the priest like you know all the bad things I’ve done and then I go in and I totally blank and I made something up your father I’m sorry for scratching my brother and making him bleed and then lying about it he just looks at me how my god you’re so young and I’m sorry for scratching my brother again great ID lying to the priest was one of your things to confess this was not in the sunday-school training manuals that they gave me he was supposed to be chill he supposed to be cool it’s like it’s all good five Hail Marys and then move on with your life he was in shock and I was sorry for that one time I accidentally need myself in the face but blamed it on my brother since that day happened he never shook my hand like not once it didn’t really understand catechism school when I went so I was always the older one in the catechism classes and I had all the questions then the Bible says not to worship images then what we got a big-ass statue of Jesus going like this and people kissing his knee where are the dinosaurs they never talked about the damn dinosaurs and then they got mad at me do it like another thing that the Lord doesn’t like it’s to be questioned I can only lie please just stop asking questions watch your VeggieTales they never know you know what I apologize I believe it God didn’t do whatever for me going to church and being together is appreciating each other and appreciating life and being grateful and what better way you do that that means with your Kennedy does it’s done to me that this girl’s picking on her if she’s gonna be bullying you you got to do something you got to stand up for yourself I don’t care this is church this is still the streets of New York City son what you need to do is after church you need to need her in the I said to start arguing and I was pissed I’m like what I’ll tell you years later my sister sees those in the Train and then she needs her

1. 1st Catholics do not worship False Idols. Catholics Venerate. It's also in the bible that God commanded to make statues, we do it in his honor, people just forget that one always. 2nd the Eucharist should hold great respect. 3rd I hated stands outside of church, anyone watch the Passion of the Christ? Remember Jesus getting pist that they made his Father's home a market. That's what I think about when I see stands outside. Sunday is suppose to be about worshipping and spending at least one hour with God not looking forward to what's outside. Anyways I know this is all in Good jokes but I hope the relationship you guys have with God is closer and one with Respect and a lot of love. #LoveIsACross

2. He never shook my hand ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ he was probably thinking about what other โ€œthingโ€ you had been shaking. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

3. I promise Iโ€™m not knockin Catholicism lol but Iโ€™m so grateful for growing up in the church I didโ€”& Iโ€™m still there!!โ€”because questioning was always encouraged & people would direct you to answers found directly in the scripture, not some half-twisted interpretation of โ€œwell Jesus said thisโ€ & itโ€™s something He totally never said, just something traditionally thought but not actually supported. Thereโ€™s nothing wrong with asking questions, yall!! โ™ฅ๏ธ

4. If you went to traditional Catholic church as a kid without going to catechism, then it would make no sense. It would be boring. Catechism would sort out the questions and prepare you for taking sacraments. I did a full 8 years. Understand it back & front, nonetheless, I'm a lapsed Catholic. Started questioning it too much & didn't watch Veggie-Tales.

5. I thought the bread taste sweet or like chips,it was weird not disgusting…

When i had my confession,the padre was the one who ask me,cause i didnโ€™t know what to say,I believe in God but I do not trust the Padres.

6. I'm Christian always been but when I got married we moved to Alabama. I had to go to my husbands church Catholism. One day in Mother's day they gave me a rose (I thought it was for me) but they told me to put it on Mary's statue. I was like oh hell nahhh. I don't do that. I left. I found a Christian Church. Now my husband is turning into a Christian. He is finding the truth. ๐Ÿ‘โค๏ธ

7. I grew in a Catholic-Protestant household. I learned real quick when it comes to faith and religion that you should be able to ask questions and questioned things. If your church or religion does not allow that then maybe that institution is not the right now for you.

8. Honestly when I was little mass was SUPER BORINGGG, but when I actually started listening instead of just sitting and standing up when everyone else did ๐Ÿ˜‚ I found it very interesting, but the priest was very engaging, funny, and inspirational which made reading the Bible FUN and the priest helped us find a deeper meaning to what the
    Bible said SO IN MY OPINION IT DEPENDS IN YOUR WILLINGNESS TO LISTEN IN THE HOUSE OF GOD AND TO HAVE A GOOD PRIEST THAT INTERPRETS WELL THE MESSAGES!!
    ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

9. When I was little my grandma always went with me to the church, but idk why but I was always hungry, my grandma juat buy me some salchipapas. I ate in the middle of the church.

10. There was this one time where the priest said to scream all the evil out of you . 5 minutes later everyone was screaming and I was scarred.

11. Catholicism is weird, that's why they get mad if you point out a lot of their beliefs aren't actually biblical cough like the thing Gadiel mentioned.

12. I Love you all!๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡.

13. I'm not Catholic, I'm from the Church of Jesus Chrost of Latter-day Saints. But I respect everybody's beliefs whether someone is Catholic, Buddhist, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, or another religion or denomination and some of my best friends were not of my faith. Although we are all from different backgrounds and beliefs, I think we should all have a basis of love and respect for one another.

14. If anyone has questions about the catholic church, i follow ascension presents, father mike answers a lot of questtions that people have all the time! It is very informative. And you can even @ him and ask questions and he does his best to answer. But watching the videos has given me a better understanding of catholicism. Hope this is helpful!

15. Dude y'all know the only reason I went to church on Sundays with my grandma was because she'd take us to the 99cents store for snacks and then we'd see a movie.

16. Iโ€™m Catholic and I have catechism class every Wednesday and itโ€™s honestly rlly fun. All the kids are funny and our priest is super chill. Heโ€™s young, barely in his 30s and always makes us laugh. You can joke about anything with him and we always have deep class conversations about Mexican food๐Ÿ˜‚

17. (in the beggining)๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿต TEA
    IS
    SPILT!!!๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    ๐Ÿ‘ THIS ๐Ÿ‘ IS ๐Ÿ‘ NOT ๐Ÿ‘ AL ๐Ÿ‘ A ๐Ÿ‘ BAM ๐Ÿ‘ A!!!๐Ÿ˜‚

18. I think you didnโ€™t have proper catechism class because then you would know that we donโ€™t worship these Mary and Jesus statues. Many people also believe we pray to Mary but this is also wrong, we venetrate her. This gives people of other denominations reasons to hate on us, because many donโ€™t even know proper Catholicism. Saludos desde Alemania ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿผ

19. Omg! I thought I was the only one that asked my priest about dinosaurs. Nobody ever talks about the dinosaurs.

20. One time my sister was sick..You already know where Iโ€™m going with this…so my mom was carrying her on the seats of the church then out of no where ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎand my ๐•ž๐• ๐•ž is just moving her around so itโ€™s going everywhere me being the smart on I was like point her to the ground point her to the flipping ground!!!and I jumped back so I just got like a speck of vomit on my boots and my brother and mom where showered in vomit..I ran to the restroom got towels and tried out best to clean it..We were in the cry room though like a room for the people with loud ass kids but there is like a window and speaker to pay attention to the church so only a few people where like staring at us it was so embarrassing!!

21. I will never do anything with a Latina, we could be related as you know the biggest fucking families on the planet!

22. No no no…. Jelly donuts and menudo ???? What a joke. My parents actually taught me exactly what going to church was about. Fucking jelly ๐Ÿฉ???? GTFOH.

23. Iโ€™m not Latino but I was raised Catholic and some of these stories had me rolling in tears ๐Ÿ˜‚ especially Eliโ€™s story about the nude photos in confession ๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€๐Ÿ’€

24. I was at Admiration and Confession, I fell asleep. My friends took pictures and videos of me. And Iโ€™ve become a meme with my Catholic friends.

25. Exactly! Why I donโ€™t agree, with Catholicism, the bible says donโ€™t worship idols but here they are having a huge statue of Jesus, Mary praying to it, kissing it. They be tripping! They obviously donโ€™t practice what they preach.

26. My mom confessed when she was younger. Told the padre or whatever you call him that she disrespected her parents. He came out the confession booth and slapped her. Told her โ€œdonโ€™t disrespect your parents!โ€ She left and never confessed again. Ha ha!

27. "Boso en la nalga" It's actually "Gozo en mi alma, gozo en mi alma, gozo en mi alma y en mi ser aleluya gloria Dios, son como rios de agua viva, rios de agua viva, rios de agua viva hay en mi seeeeer"

28. I alway think that the bread is Lays…..dont know why ….. probably bcz i havent made my first communion yet….but anyway

29. At my CCD I'm in 7 th grade but I heard one of the 6 th graders ask " what would've happened if Mary got an abortion?"

30. Im atheist but I still grew up watching veggie tales cuz it was recommended to my 5 year old self on Netflix alongside Dora.

31. A good friend of mine met his wife at MASS … She was 16yo. He was 17. She chased him down the aisle to ask him for the time… lol. How romantic!

32. What are you supposed to say in your confession?? Bitch what??? Iโ€™m sorry I punched my sister? Iโ€™m sorry that I killed that one blue beetle I saw in my backyard when I was 6? Iโ€™m sorry I lied to… whoever I have ever lied to? Like what?

33. Tรญpico, siempre habrรก nuevos familiares de los cuales ni enterado estรกs, al menos si eres de familia grande

34. Great point, Gabriel!!! Actually that is the huge difference between Christians and Catholic traditon where statues are worshipped or shown benevolence towards.. especially towards the Virgin Mary which is completely against what is written in the Bible, which is why Christians solely worship Jesus Christ and the Trinity without any images or statues as it is forbidden in scripture to have them. It is important to ask questions like you did Gadiel and not just listen to what people tell you and do your own investigation and from there make your decision with rationale.

35. I love this!!! haha I'm glad yall were able to talk so openly about this and laugh. it is truly an experience. my aunt will lie and tell us we were going to get ice cream too!

36. Literally I loved La Paz part bc I always got to go with my cousins and hug them. Also I liked the singing and going out to eat breakfast after with the whole family ๐Ÿฅบโค๏ธ (A couple of years ago we all stopped going)

37. Pinche Gadiel!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

38. I only go to church when they announced the fields trip we went to hersay park . and they are still doing more trip. That the only thing i go to Sunday church with my mom.

39. I see that you had made bad experience, but if you would know who wonderful and great it is to go to a church where everybody LOVES our lord and saviour! Jesus died and suffered for our sins so they who believe will go to heaven one day to our almighty father! That makes me so thankful, because I never could be good enough to go to heaven by myself. I NEED Jesus Christ for going to heaven.
    If there are any truly questions about the bible, the holy word, than just ask me ๐Ÿ™‚
    I hope all who read that will be lead to the right path! God bless you!

โ€œFor God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.โ€ Joh. 3,16

40. I remember for my first communion having to go to confession, I was terrified. I sat in the same room as the priest (not in my own secret little box where he couldn't see me) and I did not say a word! He then told my parents and I got in trouble and had to go back. I still barely said anything and probably lied. I felt so betrayed though, what happened to not telling anyone about your confessions (or non-confession)? Definitely not Catholic now.