Jim Gaffigan: You’re Using The Prayer Hands Emoji Wrong

GUEST TONIGHT IS AN ACTOR AND COMEDIAN WHO IS ONE OF THE MOST
POPULAR STAND-UPS IN THE WORLD. HE NOW STARS IN THE NEW FILM
“AMERICAN DREAMER.” PLEASE WELCOME BACK TO “THE LATE
SHOW,” MR. JIM GAFFIGAN. ♪ ♪ ♪
( APPLAUSE )
>>THANK YOU!>>Stephen: THANK YOU FOR
BEING HERE.>>THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.>>Stephen: THANK YOU.>>I DIDN’ THE HUG. I’M NOT A HUGGER.>>Stephen: WE ALMOST HUGGED. WE ALMOST HUGGED.>>I DON’T KNOW IF I CAN STOP
THERE.>>Stephen: I’M IN SHOW
BUSINESS.>>YOU KNOW.>>Stephen: HOW ARE YOU?>>I’M GOOD.>>Stephen: END OF THE SUMMER,
END OF THE SUMMER. DID YOU HAVE SUMMER FUN. DID YOU PUT THE WHOLE TRIBE IN
THE FAMILY TRUCKSTER?>>I DID SOME SHOWS IN EUROPE
AND I BROUGHT THE WHOLE FAMILY.>>Stephen: OH-LA-LA.>>BECAUSE I DIDN’T WANT TO MAKE
MONEY.>>Stephen: THE WIFE AND THE
FIVE KIDS?>>FIVE KIDS.>>Stephen: ALL TO EUROPE?>>ALL TO EUROPE. AND IT WAS AMAZING. I DID SOME SHOWS IN SPAIN WHERE
I GREW UP. AND SO– I DIDN’T GROW UP THERE.( LAUGHTER ).>>Stephen: THEY DON’T KNOW. THEY DON’T KNOW JIM GAFFIGAN.>>THEY DON’T KNOW. BUT SPAIN —
>>Stephen: WAIT, WAIT. YOU’RE NOT DOING YOUR STUFF IN
SPANISH?>>NO.>>Stephen: WHO’S YOUR
AUDIENCE?>>PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTAND
ENGLISH.( LAUGHTER )
>>Stephen: NICELY DONE. NICELY DONE.>>BUT SPAIN WAS AMAZING. OF COURSE, IT’S– THEY CALL IT
ESPANNIA. I THINK IT’S STRANGE THAT WE
CALL THEIR COUNTRY A DIFFERENT NAME. THAT SEEMS KIND OF RUDE.>>Stephen: WE CALL GERMANY–
>>DEUTSCHLAND. YOU WOULD THINK IT’S I COME FROM
ESPANNIA. “OH, SPAIN, RIGHT?”
YOU WOULDN’T DO THAT TO ANOTHER HUMAN. I LOVE SPAIN. WHEN I WAS THERE, THERE WAS THE
RUNNING WITH THE BULLS IN PAMPLONA.>>Stephen: DID YOU RUN?>>NO, NOT AT ALL.>>Stephen: WHY? YOU HAVE LEGS?>>BECAUSE I HAVE SOMEWHAT OF A
BRAIN. FIRST OF ALL, THE RUNNING WITH
THE BULLS, YOU KNOW, NOBODY IS RUNNING WITH THE BULLS.( LAUGHTER )
YOU KNOW? THESE BULLS AREN’T JOGGING
PARTNERS, YOU KNOW. IT’S NOT HOW YOU TRAIN FOR A
MARATHON. PEOPLE ARE VOLUNTARILY RUNNING
AWAY FROM BULLS BECAUSE THEY’RE INSANE.>>Stephen: IT’S RUN AGO IT’S
RUNNING FROM THE BULLS.>>AND THERE’S ALWAYS A COUPLE
OF AMERICANS THAT RUN WITH THE BULLS. AND THEY INTERVIEW THEM THE NEXT
DAY IN THE HOSPITAL.( LAUGHTER )
AND, YOU KNOW, THE GUY’S ALWAYS LIKE, “YEAH, I WAS OVER HERE ON
SPAIN ON VACATION AND I HEARD ABOUT THE RUNNING WITH THE
BULLS, AND I HAVEN’T WORKED OUT IN 30 YEARS, BUT I KNOW I’M
FASTER THAN A COUP. ANYWAY, I DID IT, AND I GOT
GORED.” IN SPAIN, THEY’RE DOING STUFF–
THEY RUN WITH THE BULLS. THEY ALSO FIGHT THE BULLS. THERE’S BULL FIGHTING, WHICH IF
YOU LIKED IT LOOKS MORE LIKE BULL AVOIDING. WHOA! WHOA! IT’S LIKE, IS THAT HOW THE
SPANISH FIGHT? “YOU WANT TO GO, BRO? ALL RIGHT, LET ME GET MY GOLD
PANTS AND MY RED BLANKY, AND THEN WE’LL GO AT IT.”( LAUGHTER ).>>Stephen: YOU HAVE SOME REAL
PROBLEMS WITH SOME OF SPANISH CULTURE IS WHAT YOU’RE SAYING.>>I LOVE IT!>>Stephen: HOW DO YOU FEEL
ABOUT TAPAS.>>TAPAS– TAPASSA GREAT. BUT I LIKE LARGER PORTIONS. I LIKE LARGER PORTIONS. PIAA– BY THE WAY, THIS WHOLE
SHOW IS ABOUT SPAIN. PAELLA, IT’S LIKE THEY TOOK ALL
THE DISGUSTING THINGS FROM THE OCEAN AND DUMPED IT IN A BOWL OF
RICE. THAT’S GROSS.>>Stephen: DELICIOUS. NOW BACK HERE IN THE STATES,
BACK IN THE STATES, YOU’RE KNOWN FOR HAVING A PROBLEM OR TWO WITH
SOME OF OUR– TRENDS IN OUR CULTURE. ANYTHING BOTH BOTHERING YOU
RIGHT NOW?>>WELL, YOU KNOW, I MEA
YEAH. YOU KNOW, THE WORLD’S ENDING. BUT I WOULD SAY, GENERALLY,
THERE’S AN OVERALL MISUSE OF THE PRAYER HANDS EMOJI.( LAUGHTER )
IT’S JUST– PEOPLE–( APPLAUSE )
>>Stephen: IN WHAT WAY?>>PEOPLE HAVE —
>>Stephen: I’VE GOTTEN A FEW RECENTLY?>>YOU’LL GET A TEXT FROM
SOMEONE, AND THEY’LL SAY, “SEE YOU AT DINNER,” PRAYER HANDS. AND IT’S LIKE, “NO, NO PRAYER–
ARE YOU NOT GOING TO MAKE IT? ARE YOU PRAYING FOR ME? ARE YOU SUGGESTING WE EAT HANDS? WHAT ARE YOU SAYING?”
AND, ALSO, THE PRAYER HANDS INDICATES THEY’RE PRAYING FOR
YOU. “SO YOU’RE PRAYING FOR ME BUT
YOU’RE TOO LAZIY TO TYPE OUT ‘I’M PRAYING FOR YOU’VE”?>>Stephen: “I’M PRAYING FOR
YOU” I ALWAYS THOUGHT HAS A SLIGHTLY HOSTILE VIBE TO IT.>>YEAH.>>Stephen: IT’S LIKE, “I’LL
PRAY FOR YOU.” “OH, REALLY, IS THAT WHAT YOU
THINK?”>>IT’S KIND OF LIKE, “BLESS HER
HEART.” SHE’S A MESS.>>Stephen: BLESS HER HEART
BECAUSE SHE HAS NO ORGAN UP HERE. EXACTLY. WE TALKED ABOUT THIS, NOT LAST
TIME– ONE OF THE TIMES YOU WERE ON HERE YOUR LOVELY WIFE AND
WRITING PARTNER JEANIE HAD A BRAIN TUMOR BUT SHE’S FINE NOW.>>SHE’S– YOU CAN’T HAVE A
PEAR-SHAPED TUMOR REMOVED AND GO BACK TO 100%. BUT HER 90% IS LIKE ME AT 150. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? SO SHE’S THAT IMPRESSIVE. AND, YOU KNOW, JEANIE AND I DO
EVERYTHING TOGETHER. WE HAVE WRITTEN TWO BOOKS
TOGETHER. OF COURSE SHE GETS DONE
SURVIVING A BRAIN TUMOR AND SHE DECIDES TO WRITE A BOOK AT BIT. AND AT ONE POINT I WAS LIKE, “DO
YOU WANT ME TO HELP?” AND SHE WAS LIKE, “NO, NOT
REALLY.” SO IT WAS LIKE MY WRITING
PARTNER FIRED ME. IT IS A VERY PERSONAL STORY. AND IT’S A GREAT BOOKO I LOOK
FORWARD TO THAT COMING OUT.>>Stephen: WE TALKED ABOUT
THIS BEFORE. YOU HAVE A CERTAIN LEVEL OF
RELIGIOSITY. YOU DON’T BANG A DRUM ABOUT IT,
BUT THEY STILL LET YOU GO TO CHURCH.>>THEY STILL, I ALWAYS– EVERY
TIME I WALK IN CHURCH I FEEL LIKE SOMEONE IS GOING TO STOP ME
AND GO, “WE’VE DISCOVERED YOU’RE A MONSTER. YOU CAN’T COME IN.” BUT I AM TRYING. YOU KNOW, THIS IS THE ONLY SHOW
IN AMERICA WHERE IT TURNS TO LIKE, “WHAT ABOUT YOUR FAITH,
JIM?”( LAUGHTER )
WHICH IS– AND, BY THE WAY, I LOVE IT.( LAUGHTER )
( APPLAUSE )
BUT IT’S LIKE– IT’S LIKE– NOT
THAT I WAS EVER COOL. BUT IT’S LIKE AT A CERTAIN
POINT, “HEY, I KNOW JIM IS FAT AND OLD AND HAS FIVE KIDS, BUT I
DO WANT YOU TON HE’S A RELIGIOUS FREAK, TOO.”( LAUGHTER )
BUT YOU KNOW WHAT– PRAYER HANDS!( APPLAUSE )
>>Stephen: WELL, I MEAN– I MEAN, IT’S WONDERFUL THAT JEANIE
IS– IS OKAY. BUT I WAS WONDERING, DID THAT
CHANGE YOUR VIEW OF GOD OR YOUR SENSE OF RELIGIOSITY, OR YOUR
APPROACH TO THAT WHEN YOUR WIFE, THE WOMAN YOU LOVE MOST IN THE
WORLD, WENT THROUGH THIS HARROWING ORDEAL?>>WELL THERE ARE SO MANY– YOU
KNOW, THERE ARE INDIVIDUALLY– OBVIOUSLY, INDIVIDUALLY, MY
PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS– WHICH SOUNDS CRAZY. BUT, YOU KNOW, YEAH, NO, I FOUND
A LOT OF COMFORT IN THAT. BUT I WOULD ALSO SAY THAT OUR
COMMUNITY, THE CATHOLIC COMMUNITY, AND EVEN MOST OF OUR
FRIENDS ARE ATHEISTS, AND THEY WERE, YOU KNOW, THEY WOULD SEND
MESSAGES LIKE, “HEY, I’M PRAYING FOR JEANIE”
AND I DIDN’T WANT TO BE LIKE, “BUT YOU SAID YOU WERE AN
ATHEIST. YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?>>Stephen: I’M PRAYING TO
NOTHINGNESS.>>THERE IS, SOME THE COMFORT OF
THAT COMMUNITY, YOU KNOW, OUR COMMUNITY WAS VERY SUPPORTIVE. AND I WOULD SAY THAT– BUT MY
WIFE IS– YOU KNOW, SHE’S THE SPIRITUAL LEADER THAT I REALLY
FOLLOW, YOU KNOW,.>>Stephen: SHE’S YOUR POPE?>>SHE’S MY POPE. BUT, YEAH, NO, SHE TALKS ABOUT
HER FAITH A LOT IN THE BOOK. AND I JUST GET NERVOUS. WHICH IS WHY YOU BRING IT UP.>>Stephen: WHAT DO YOU MEAN
YOU GET NERVOUS?>>I GET NERVOUS BECAUSE IT’S–
YOU KNOW, MY– IT’S IMPERFECT, MY FAITH.>>Stephen: OH, UNLIKE MINE
WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY–>>WELL, I THINK THAT —
>>Stephen: SOLID GOLD, BABY!>>I THINK PEOPLE ASSUME, “HE
ADMITTED HE BELIEVES IN GOD SO HE HAS TO BE PERFECT.” THAT’S NOT THE CASE. I NEED TO BELIEVE THAT THERE IS
SOME GREATER POWER THAT IS FORGIVING ME FOR BEING THE
MONSTER I AM.>>Stephen: WE HAVE TO TAKE A
BREAK. WE’LL BE RIGHT BACK WITH MORE
JIM GAFFIGAN. YOU’LL SEE HIM LIKE YOU’VE NEVER
SEEN HIM BEFORE. IT’S QUITE DISTURBING.

1. He's right through. Can you imagine Fallon actually having a serious conversation with somebody about something like their faith and making good, compelling television, etc.

2. The praying hands emoji indicates "Namaste" which means I salute the god within you. Here in Asia it's used to show that you apologize for a faux pas, or to greet others politely or to show that you appreciate a kindness. We don't use it to mean I'm praying for you.

3. I love Jim! His faith is exactly what Jesus loved. It's real, yet humble. He knows he's not perfect. He knows he needs Jesus. (He is so humble, he feels uncomfortable to say it.)

4. 2:03 People do that constantly! Especially if your name has more than 2 syllables! People will ignore the name you told them and declare "well I'll just call you…". Or the "polite" ones will ask "do you have a nick name I can call you?" My answer to both options is always "No".

5. Stephen "you're not doing your show in Spanish…. Who's your audience?"
    Jim "people who understand English"
    Then that handshake from Stephen 😂😂😂

Nicely done Jim, nicely done

6. What's the first thing he says after "I skipped the hug" joke and sat down?
    "Took the family to Europe 'cause, I WANT TO MAKE MONEY…"
    Colbert and Gaffigan followed suit like Kirk Cameron. Milk the church too! Cha-ching!

7. "I think it's strange that we call their country a different name."

You hear this sort of thing from time to time and I always think, wow, this is just the stupidest thing. Does that person not understand the concept of different languages? Yes, things have different names in different languages, that's why they are different! What, you say trees are arboles in Spanish? Mind fucking blown! Get that, the Spanish call your stupid country Estados Unidos, isn't that strange? Thank god you don't call countries by their name in their national language, you'd just be butchering the pronunciation anyway.

8. Jim Gaffigan may be a comedian, but he doesn't understand that people in all countries refer to other countries by the name that is used in THEIR language. After all, the French refer to the USA as les états-unis (no capital letters), in Czech it's spojené státy, in Finnish it's Yhdysvallat, etc. They don't break from their language to say the United States any more than we do.

9. bull fighting is just humilating an animal which was purposely made aggressive and is in the end killed in a no way fair fight by stitching its spine with speers. Think about it for a moment before you call it culture or entertainment. Where is a reason why even most of Spain is already opposed to it and its forbidden in most areas of Spain

10. I feel compelled to mention that foreigners usually refer to the USA by their language version, so all things considered, seems even to me.

11. To quote princess bride, we all need to believe in 'true love'. But true love is quite often misrepresented in word and deed. But Jesus did it best:
    tepresent true love in word and deed.

12. Some of you people act as if the world would have been better off without Christian faith. It has done a lot of good. Humans can be very wicked to one another and all the creatures on land sea and air. What do you think happened to the dinosaurs? People do a lot of good and a lot of evil in the name of religion. But it's the true lessons of Christ that yada follow not the craziness. Love God and love you fellow human.

13. Those of us who live in far less religious countries find this godbothery stuff frankly embarrassing. It's like watching a grown adult who still needs to suck their pacifier in public.

14. Yikes, bad crowd. Jokes were way over audience’s heads. And Colbert remains a poor interviewer and terribly unfunny. Thanks for carrying that whole segment, Jim.

15. How is it that Stephen Colbert still has a show, when he is the worst host ever? You were only funny in the office Broccoli Rob, stop ruining interviews on your knock-off Carson-Letterman-Leno-Kimmel- wannabe talk show.

16. Jim, OMGosh you're so cute:) The entire reason we have a relationship with Jesus (and that is exactly what you need, an actual relationship with Jesus) is because we're so far from perfect.

17. I always thought the emoji standard set was created in Japan, and that’s why the prayer-hands emoji comes up when you type “thanks,” rather than for “please” or “hope.”

18. Hey Jim, Everybody is a monster unable to handle their wants and desires but the Lord loves everyone and was willing to send his son to die for our sins.
    Jesus did what we were not Able to do. 🙏. Sorry they do not have albino Hands.

19. Catholicism is as fucked up as any other religion. These 2 fools can't think for themselves, and they get microphones and cameras. Only in America (and other theocracies: Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia…) Ugh.

20. Colbert is terribly unfunny with stand ups. He doesn't laugh, and the audience follows suit. I don't want fake Fallon laughing, but Jesus he is cold as ice.

21. I am moved by this video. god bless you all. we are forgiven thanks to jesus and we are examples of his love. at least thats what I hope to be.

22. I love this dude and I know how supportive a church family can be. Mine has come together for me and my family throughout my entire life. I was diagnosed with stage 3 brain cancer about three years ago. Needless to say my family and I were having a tough go of it. Those folks provided emotional support for us all the way through my surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy. I consider myself really blessed to have such a wonderful group of people thinking about and praying for me.

ps- I survived. Medical University of South Carolina brain surgeons removed a tumor the size of a deck of playing cards from the left frontal lobe of my brain. Yaayyyy modern medical science! I was in and out of the hospital in less than 24 hours with no side effects. MUSC was on point with this one. Radiation therapy wasn't that bad. Chemo was horrible. God is good. I am thankful.

23. This is the second interview I watched on Youtube with Jim on the Colbert show and it seems Colbert kinda talks down to Jim because he is religious and has a tone I can't quite put my finger on.

24. Jim G. can do no wrong in my eyes. He’s just that funny. I definitely think there’s an overuse of “prayer hands”. People put those to say they’re praying. Do I actually think all of those people are praying? Not really. When my husband had cancer, he knew people meant well, but we should all get off social media and downgrade emoji usage and go over and offer our help to people in need. If you’re too far away, think of something more inventive. You can pray as well but what people need most is real acts of kindness.

25. What’s up with the stupid questions?
    “Who did you perform to? Did you run with the bulls?”

Wtf and Stephen nervously playing with his hand the whole time.
    Why does it always have to be what Stephen wants to talk about? Isn’t it the guest who is supposed to be probed and asked questions?
    This interview was so mediocre

26. Every time I try to watch Stephen his interviews just seem so clunky. I loved the Colbert report but something is off for me now with this format and his real personality.