Is religion battered woman's syndrome?

Posted By on July 15, 2019

1. Just curious, what do you think the moral God means when God says woman should keep quiet?
    1 Timothy 2:12
    I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.

Is that the word of a moral God? Or is it the word of a barbaric primitive delusional people who were intellectually comparable to today's Afghan warlords?

2. In all honesty I've had doubt's however… To me I don't know what God any one else worships and frankly I don't care the God I serve, for me there is significant meaning and proof of his existence…. I cannot prove this to any one and I don't care to. I know that a part of being human means exception of accountability. So no I'm not saying that it's my fault for getting hit by a car or it would be my fault for getting raped in a dark ally even if I were wearing something reveling. However I am saying that if I'm late to an appointment, or if I stay up too late the night before a test and fail, there may be things I did that could have prevented that. For me God is not someone who punishes me and nothing that happens that causes serious damage- terminal illness, natural disaster, pollution, war- can possibly be my doing. I understand regardless of my belief that life happens, and u consider God to be the one helps me get on my feet. He has for me at least but what do I know helped me countless times. So to answer your question, while there are times I have doubted him hell I'm human right? he has only shown me love so if I am in this battered women's syndrome then I guess I'm okay. I'm still alive and I feel like any human being with emotion does.

3. Isn't God giving us a chance to enter heaven and not hell if we follow him? The devil takes us to hell? Or is hell a state of mind?

4. (cont A) when you consider the fact that atheists typically as themselves that kind of question all the time and they generally stay atheists because they weigh the pros and cons and find it more likely there is no god every time. The day they find otherwise, they convert – which rarely happens. But yeah, I can leave that window open – I have left it open all my life so far since I became an atheist. Can you?

5. I can do that, if you can be willing to leave a small window open for the possibility that you are wrong. I have yet to meet a theist who i willing to do that. They always expect other people to be open to the possibility that their particular god exists, but under no circumstance are they willing to accept the possibility that their god does not exist. Essentially it is a "do unto others what I don't want to do myself" kind of thinking and is thoroughly dishonest. It is even more (cont A)

6. You completely misunderstood what I said. I said that I'm sick of atheists trying to convince everyone that every religion is bad. That's what I said and that's my only problem with this kind of people. Everyone has the right to believe in whatever they want and nobody should offend them for doing so. Anyway, I don't think this conversation has a point, just try (and this goes for everyone not just you) not to be negative against the idea of religion. Leave a small window open, you never know…

7. You said 'Atheists, though, don't seem to accept that other people may believe in something greater and they make frustrated attempts to "counter" religion.' and the context was that this is unlike believers who do believe in something greater than themselves and that is one way that believers are better than atheists. The point is that atheists too believe there are things that is greater than themselves, they just don't think any of those things are supernatural. So your point is moot.

8. So please, go ahead, copy-paste the part where I claimed that believing in God makes me a "greater" person…

9. That's all you can say when I caught you red-handed in attempting to claim that you didn't say something you just said? You might want to rethink this idea of Yours that lying is ok as long as it promoites Your religious views, lying is not ok. Lying is OK under some circumstances, I agree, but that isn't one of them. The archetypical case is if you were hiding jews during WW2 and some german soldiers knocked on your door – Lying for your religion isn't that kind of situation.

10. You did, and many other christians often do, claim that one of their "advantages" over atheists is that they "believe in something greater than themselves" implying that unless you believe there is a god you think that you are greater than anything else in the universe – which is absurd. That was why I said what I said.You may want to rethink what you wrote before my comment.

11. I never said that I'm "greater" than others because I believe in God, and that's not the case at all. But isn't it my right to do so without having people offending my beliefs?

12. First off, I do not agree that living under superstition makes you in any way "greater" than others. I too believe in many things that are greater than myself – that is not the point – even though I know christians tries to make that claim – they are wrong. I just don't believe that there's anything supernatural that is greater than myself. Believing in things without evidence sounds like a useless endavour to me.

13. That's faith in something that you live my friend. I'm not telling you to believe, again you missed my point. As Pascal said: Faith is different from proof; the latter is human, the former is a Gift from God. You keep your beliefs and we keep ours. Atheists, though, don't seem to accept that other people may believe in something greater and they make frustrated attempts to "counter" religion. French government even prohibits pupils from wearing religious symbols. Where's your "broad-mindedness"?

14. It's a good one. They can't shoehorn it to fit their fantasy and they are usually FORCED to plain-straight-out deny that the evidence is out there. (That's if they answer at all.) They just say that the fossil column is "set-up" by "lying" atheistic scientists. So it then becomes an argument on whether the evidence is really there, or not.

15. What is your evidence for this soul – oh, that's right you never provided any! Provide some evidence for this soul and we can examine the evidence and see if we agree With your assertions. Until you do, Your soul claim is as unproven as your god claim and when you assert something without providing evidence we can dismiss it without needing any evidence.

16. The fossil column is (basically) simple progressing to complex. Shell-fish and worms etc on the bottom layers. And (going up the strata) we get the first invertebrates and then land invertebrates and the first vertebrates. Then (going higher) we get the first land vertebrates and then the first mammals, then more advanced mammals, and near the top, we get apes and us. Combined fossil sites all over the world show this sequence. If evolution isn’t true, WHAT ELSE COULD MAKE IT LIKE THAT?

17. Again, you think in such "human" ways. The soul which you bear greater than matter. It's deathless and it bears everything that you've experienced. Also, God during the Second Coming will revive our bodies in a new form (like the body of Christ after Resurrection). It's hard to understand God with human minds and also hard to accept our little knowledge. Anyway, faith is something personal. What I don't like is when people "assault" someone's faith and lately atheists have been doing this a lot.

18. So Ken Miller is a god hater? Ken Miller is the guy who was head of the human genome project, he is a scientist and he accepts evolution as fact and he is christian and he has spoken up against creationists on numerous occations.

19. (cont 1) memories. If another part of the brain is destroyed, your personality will change. Yet, if ALL the brain decomposes, you will be perfectly fine and remember everything and everyone from your life with your personality completely intact? Sorry, not likely.

20. As far as we can tell it is. Some people think they continue to live on but there is no evidence to suggest that and what we know about our existence as persons and how it is tied to the brain it appears that it is clear that when the brain dies, we dies with it. Sam Harris has a great explanation of this. We now understand the brain fairly well, we know that if we destroys this part of the brain you will start to lose certain words and that part of the brain you will lose certain (cont 1)

21. While it is quite reasonable to argue that death is not the end – the world continues on without the deceased individual – all our experience tells us that it is the end for that individual. He or she can no longer make any decisions, experience anything cause he or she only lives in the memories of the individuals they leave behind.

22. Empirical evidence about death? I guess you've met many dead people and you know better… Anyway, again you think of death as something necessarily bad, just like most people who don't believe in anything but what they see. I keep my faith and you keep yours, I have no problem with that. I believe in God, you believe in science, but what really pisses me off is when people who know nothing of what Christianity is start making false, ignorant arguments and try to propagandise atheism. I'm tired.

23. Empirical evidence says that it is. Sam Harris makes a excellent point to paraphrase him…your god allows 9 million children under the age of 5 to die every year thru cancer, violence and accidents. This must be gods fault if god exists….either he can do nothing about this or he does not care to. So he is either impotent or evil.

24. So God chose to allow 250K people to drown in the tsunami did he? And that is someone you believe is worthy of your respect is it. He allows 9 million chidlren in the world to die before the age of 5 every year often in fear and pain and that is a person you worship is it?

25. being spoilt is only a problem when you are faced with harder circumstances than you were used to. is god preparing us for a perfect life in paradise or a battle against jotnar in ragnarok?

26. Atheists aren't set out to convert religious people. They are people who are interested in facts and truth who are trying to dilute the world of unreasonable thinking and delusion. If you knew anything about your own religion then you would know it has evolved in the same way we have, albeit much quicker. The Christianity you practise today is very different to what was practised early on. 'Jesus' is much the same as Mithras, Dionysus, Osiris and other pagan Gods. His story is an allegory…

27. The mega-churches are another selling point really. If they kept all the money for themselves, no one would donate anymore. The charitable giving is there to sell the idea that it's going to a good cause. What they care about more than starving children is their bank accounts. Imagine if they focused 90% of the money they received on feeding the hungry, I daresay America would be a lot better off. J.K. Rowling lost her billionaire status due to her charitable ways. What if they were like her?

28. That's a good point, they are mega-rich. The Catholics are mega rich, but they do give more generously than the salvation army. I know by experience. The yecs would keep it all to themselves though (cos everyone else is evil). lol But who else does charities besides a few movie stars (who are also mega rich). Nobody else can afford to do it. Where are they going to get the money from? But I disagree with them spending it all on useless churches. I suppose it's art, but that's all it is.

29. I thought you were religious (in my first comment). I'm not either, but I'm a bit spiritual but not really religious and don't believe in any kind of religion, except maybe "the fairies". lol
    I do believe in science and I'm agnostic. How could anyone know if there is a god or not? And I don't care anyway.
    See my ch 4 some evolution videos (and other geeky science stuff). And I'll look at your ch, ch, cheers!

30. I disagree with the point you made about religious charities. If the churches didn't exist, you could still donate to the same causes, but millions of dollars wouldn't go into building mega-churches. That's alot more money feeding the hungry

31. What I see as evil (when it comes to yecs) is their ability to ignore the obvious. I'm not really talking about evolution so much, but age of earth and (apparently) nearly half of the yecs in America are geocentric! According to Wikipedia, 20% of Americans are geocentric! (Think the sun orbit's the earth). It's so obvious that they are wrong but they are taken over by something evil. Absolute bullshit, how they can believe that crap!