Bishop Barron on Whether Hell is Crowded or Empty

Posted By on August 4, 2019

Rob Bell is a evangelist and pastor a leader in this emerging church movement he just wrote a book called Love Wins and it’s a it’s a book about eternal life and he stakes out a more or less Universalist position meaning everyone gets saved so in the end everyone gets to heaven and it’s kicked up a controversy among Christians because a lot of his co-religionists a lot of his fellow evangelicals are saying this is just not a biblical teaching the Bible is very clear on the existence of Hell the danger of it etc and so this controversy made the CNN website which I thought was interesting proving that hell excuse the pun is still a burning question in the culture it’s not a new question this is a very old issue within Christian theology though it might surprise and dismay some people the biblical figure who talks most about Hell is Jesus of Nazareth so look in the New Testament you’ll find lots of references to Hell on the lips of Jesus he warns again and again of Gehenna and it’s never ending fire think of the parable of Lazarus and die v’s you know where the rich man is separated by this infinite gulf you know from the bosom of Abraham I think of Matthew 25 that’s a sort of startling parable where you know God will separate the goats from the Sheep and it’s pretty clear that some go off to an eternal punishment so we didn’t just drag this language of hell out of nowhere I mean it’s coming up from Jesus himself and then as the tradition unfolds we see this question debated back and forth and lots of different positions of taken third century one of the greatest theologians of the whole tradition origin of Alexandria stakes out a position not all that dissimilar from Rob bells Origen claimed that in the end perhaps after a long period of trial and testing but in the end everybody will be saved in clue the Fallen Angels including Satan himself its position that’s called a pocket a stasis in the Greek meaning restoration all things will be restored at the end of time well the church condemned a pocket a stasis and it said it wasn’t taking hell seriously enough now in reaction to origin you might say someone like a gust of Hippo comes along the great 5th century bishop and theologian Agustin had a much more pessimistic approach to this question he said that original sin resulted in what he called the masa de nada it means the damned mass so the whole human race is basically a deserving of hell but God in His infinite inscrutable mercy picks a handful of souls out of the mouths of de nada and saves them so it’s pretty dark you know most people will be damned Agustin clearly thinks now though it’s hard for me to admit this my great hero Thomas Aquinas is largely Augustinian in his view on Hell he also thinks most people will be damned in fact acquaintance so far as to say that part of the joy of heaven is to see the suffering of the Damned because you’re noticing how just God is okay now you know I love Thomas Aquinas but these are pretty dark views on this question now come up to the 20th century the great Protestant theologian Karl Barth one of the most influential of the modern theologians he stakes out a position not all that some dissimilar from origins or rob bells it’s pretty much a Universalist position that in the cross of Jesus all people are saved and the church’s job is to announce this good news to the world now one of his colleagues a fellow Swiss and a friend of his was Hans von Balthasar a Catholic theologian Baltar took in a good deal of the bar TN spirit I think reacted against this Augustinian into mystic rather dark view on hell both are said this we may reasonably hope that all people will be saved you see what he’s doing is he’s pulling back from Bart and origin and from a complete a pocket haces position that we know all people will be saved no no we don’t know that but we may reasonably hope that all people will be saved why because of the dramatic thing that God did through the life death and resurrection of Jesus God sending his son all the way to the limits of God forsaken us so as to bring back into the divine life all those who’d wandered far from it that’s the way he reads the redemption that’s pretty powerful that God the Son went all the way to the limits even into sin and even into death so as to bring the whole world back because of that we may reasonably hope that all people will be saved do we know it no why because human freedom can still resist even that acrobatic act of love okay my own view having surveyed this of this grand tradition my own view is that Baltazar has it pretty much right I think that God desires all people to be saved God has gone to the limits of God forsaken us to effect this salvation can it be resisted yes and that’s why we have to hold to the existence of hell at least as a possibility see hell or Gehenna the fire all that those are spatial and visual metaphors for the state of deep loneliness that comes from having rejected the divine love that’s how I’d put it hell is not so much a place we use spatial metaphors for it it’s a conditions of state of being it’s having refused in freedom the Divine Love and it results in this terrible loneliness we have to accept the possibility of hell we have to accept the existence of it as a possibility because of human freedom but are any human beings in hell we don’t know we don’t know the church has never declared on that subject and and we may pray that all be saved and may even reasonably hope that all people will be saved so it’s a universalism if you want but not of the kind of origin Bart or Rob Bell variety where I know everyone’s going to be saved it’s a theologically grounded reasonable hope it all will be saved you know in light of that let me say a word about CS Lewis because he one of the best images I think for hell he said the door to hell is always locked from the inside not from the outside is that so much that God sends someone to hell and then locks the door whether we send ourselves there if anyone’s in hell he or she has sent himself or sent herself there and now has locked the door I’ve used the image before of heavens like this great party it’s a share of the divine life everyone’s invited hell would be the state of that person who has slunk into the corner and refused to join the party has locked himself in to this dark and sad and lonely place that someone sent there by an avenging God but a self-imposed exile that’s hell as a as a possibility just a last thought hell you might say is a corollary of two more fundamental teachings namely that God is love and that we are free you can’t hold to those two and I think everyone wants to hold those two things that God is love and we’re free if those are both true you have to accept hell as a possibility because the divine love can be refused in our in freedom when it’s refused it causes pain you know it’s as simple as that that’s why Lewis again says the love of God lights up the fires of hell see what he means is the love of God resisted hurt it pains us but not an arbitrary imposition it’s a self-imposed exile I think that’s the best way from the Catholic perspective to grasp this complex issue of Hell and salvation bottom line we may reasonably hope that all people will be saved

1. Why is it all the fundamentalists ever do is judge and hate on this thread and are only in the church because they are afraid of going to hell

If hell wasnt a part of this religion chances are they wouldn’t be here

God doesn’t want people to serve him out of fear but out of love

If he wanted blind followers he would have created robots

Love should be our focus and reality

Not hell

Honestly you guys know your sin

I know you feel no kindness for anyone here except those who are just like you, learn what love is and you will realize god isn’t a cosmic bully that sends everyone to hell- like you imply

You can quote scripture, councils, saints, visions, and tell me I’m not a catholic but a heretic but I rather serve god out of love instead of fear and I rather believe in a god that saves MOST people rather than few

Nothing will change that unless god himself showed me I was wrong because I see what fear does to people, just look at Islam

You think they actually want to be there? No they are just afraid Allah will send them to hell so they never leave that fucked up religion

If you follow the path of fear there is a chance you’ll become like them or worse

I don’t see why it’s so bad to Hope

Rather than fear

Does god even exist in your hearts or have you scared yourself to the point of staying in this religion ….. it’s so sad watching people argue on this video

I rather die than be in heaven with you bullies

2. I like how he doesn’t explain what he means by “slunk into the corner”. You mean, sinned, sinned and not repented? be straightforward about the gravity of sin.

3. Jesus said it would have been better if Judas Iscariot had not been born, implying we know he went to hell because he betrayed Jesus (as did Peter) and killed himself rather than asking forgiveness (whereas Peter asked for forgiveness).

4. Also Benedict XVI explained in his book on Jesus of Nazareth that the rich man who Lazarus meets after death is in hell and asks Lazarus to tell the damned man’s brothers who are still alive to do good and not behave like him. Not because he was remorseful and wanted his brothers to avoid his same fate, but because the guilt of his brothers also going to hell because of the bad example he led would add to his own misery he already experienced being damned.

5. Bishop Barron: Just curious about this: Do you read the Harrowing of Hell where Christ descends into Hell on Holy Saturday, as stated in the Apostles' Creed, literally or figuratively?

6. It seems the reason people are so confused is because, as the gospels clearly state, in the end times sin will become so magnified as to not even be recognized. I read the Bible. There is NO QUESTION as to the existence of a place of eternal suffering where God's loving gaze does not protect. KING DAVID said of it, "turn not Thy Holy face, lest I be as those who go into the pit. " Quite clear. I don't want to think it's there either. But even a cursory glance through a TV screen unedited where violence and sex acts are at the push of a button for viewing by a child says there is a problem of rampant evil. We take the Lord's heart in our HANDS as we file up to the altar-like factory workers -without even kneeling to receive Him… there is no consequence to these things??? REALLY??? I pray hardest FOR clergy! Who have muddied the truth so much that souls are at stake. (I recommend every priest read, VERY CAREFULLY, Isaiah, Ezekiel and Zechariah). To deny there is a hell is to deny the death of Christ. But, for those "eunuchs" who keep the commandments, as Isaiah said, "you have a name greater than sons and daughters!" Bishop Baron, don't fool yourself. You are accountable to God, Great and Terrible (as Daniel called Him). Do NOT distort the truth. If Christ expelled demons, (some, as He said, worse than others), then WHERE did they come FROM?? And if they can torment the living soul on earth, then what do they do WITHOUT the protection of God anymore??? An answer to those questions immediately should put us all on our knees with a Rosary in hand to beg for the Mercy of God and the prayers of Our Lady.

7. @BishopRobertBarron Just give it to us straight. Do you at least believe there is someone is hell? I know you have been tackling this question again and again, which you will always answer "We can hope that all will go to heaven.." You never did say in your video that "Hell is empty", but everyone seems to be paraphrasing that you are implying that hell IS empty. Do enlighten us that you have to admit that there are "some" in hell?

8. I have often thought about this issue in terms of what the Sacred Scripture says about God and God's will. The Sacred Scripture says that God wills that all be saved, it doesn't say that He wants us all to be saved, it says He wills it, and in the end, isn't it consistent with Sacred Scripture and the Teaching of the Catholic Church that in the end God's will is always accomplished, of course in order for us to be truly free there must exist the possibility that we choose to be eternally separated from God's love, however, one would have to be truly insane to actually and deeply know what that choice would be like and to not choose Heaven, in which case wouldn't the possibiity of that insanity mitigate the actual freedom of that person's choice to choose Hell and thus open the door to God's justice being fulfilled….what I mean is like the joke that Padre Pio used to tell about Saint Peter when he said to God, you have given me the keys to heaven, but everytime I lock the gate, Your Mother keeps letting them in through the side door….In other words, we cannot truly comprehend the mercy on God and how that works at the hour of death. When my friend committed suicide, I really struggled with this issue of heaven and hell for him, but then God led me to the Sacred Scriptures in only a way that He can and showed me about the man who was paralyzed and his four friends had to lower him down to Jesus because He couldn't do it on his own..Jesus says to the crowd and to the man, it is because of their faith, your friends and family's faith that you are saved…..For even the least in Heaven is greater than the greatest on earth.

9. How about living your life with the full fear of Hell and pray for those around you and those who have passed before you that God will have mercy on our souls? Why is this a point of argument?

10. God himself wants all people to come to the knowledge of the truth, He will accomplish what He started. Hoping everyone is restored should be the default position not otherwise

11. One night, I had a dream at 3 am in the morning. I had died. I was floating in the sky. It was a semi cloudy blue sky. I looked down and saw hundreds of graves. Each grave was covered with a rectangular square shaped concrete block.
    Suddenly, a gray colored soul arose from each grave. There were hundreds of them. The gray colored souls floated above their graves. Without warning, each soul flew back into their grave. The dream ended. I had no idea at that moment what it meant.
    Three days later the meaning of the dream popped into my head, at 3am in the morning. For every soul that is saved, hundreds are lost.

12. It's a relief to hear this guy name hell for what it is. Not a place but a state of mind. Lot of ignorant Christians in the world with zero education in theology who take a thrice-translated text at face value. Hell = gehenna = an actual valley behind Jerusalem where criminals were executed. Not an underworld ruled by a guy with a pitchfork. Look it up. Truth is out there.

13. All people are absolutely not saved then there never would have been jesus,there would of been no reason for God to come down in human form as his son jesus

14. Jesus getting crucified wasnt to save everyone it was to open the gates of heaven again so people could come back to the faith ,so people could go to confession to wipe sin off ther ed soul,it doesnt mean u could sin your whole life and your gonna go to heaven any wa ay,cause then there would be no reason for any of VX this there would be no rite or wrong,what would be the difference I'd we all go to heaven

15. Bishop Barron is entirely true to Scripture in what he says. He is giving a theologically accurate answer to the question. Scripture compels us to have hope. To say that we can all have a reasonable hope that no one goes to hell does not imply that one believes hell is empty, and I do not believe that Bishop Barron thinks hell is empty, either. It means that our place is not to count who goes to hell, to predict based on our flawed nature who is worse than us, but to say that if I believe there is hope for myself, I have to believe there is hope for everyone else, too. In the end, it is up to each individual to repent, but whether they do or not is not divinely revealed to us, so instead, we have hope.

Neither Padre Pio, nor Archbishop Sheen, nor St. Faustina, nor any of the saints, mystics or even the apparitions of our Lady Herself are binding on our faith as Scripture and Divine Revelation are. Some things, God has chosen NOT to tell us. So in the absence of that information, we hope.

16. Apparently when you die you go to a waiting room where you face a series of door much like that famous scene in the movie the Matrix. When you get called there is a pop quiz apparently where Christ asks you “Who do you say I am?” Apparently your answer better be God,that was,is and will always will be. That will open the door. If you can’t get the door to open you get shown the gates of hell where your false god gets to torment you forever. The Lord is Satan…apparently

17. well I agree with the Bishop here and want to ask the next logical question…do all inherit the same level of heaven? or is it the same …..? will there be more opportunity to progress even further?

18. OK… you can hope for whatever you want, but you are in the end only hoping. It's pleasant to think of. Yet I'd play it safe folks. Stay close to your orthodox beliefs.

19. I love this interpretation. We are God’s most dear and treasured creation. As such he wants as many of us with him as possible. The only reason God/Jesus warns of Hell is so we are not complacent and remember to thank and praise God and live Happy lives.

20. if that's your definition of Hell, then I think there is plenty of it here on Earth to be able to say that Hell is real and plenty of human beings are in Hell right now.

21. of course it can be resisted …. that is why lucifer and 1/3 the host of heaven were cast out.
    they resisted god's plan of salvation.

22. Love is first, foremost, and always…. a choice.
    (methinks too many people confuse it as a feeling – heck! I can feel angry/hurt/resentful etc. of someone [including God] … but still love them. Or not.)

23. God made us free and therefore we can choose light or darkness, since we are beings limited by time and space God gives us the chance to repent from our sins and walk towards him, even the worst of sinners is accepted and cleansed by the divine mercy if HE wants it! Jesus saved us all on the cross that is a fair statement BUT you have to accept that gift of salvation and we know there are human beings that through their actions have rejected that gift. Chavez, Castro, Lenin, Stalin, Hitler. Just to name a few, now is it beyond God to save those souls? NO. But God will respect the freedom of those choices and sadly we know by the word of God that in the day of the last judgement there will be souls condemned to Hell.

24. Please save me God. I’m in hell right now. I have no good friends, I am dirt poor, I cannot get a job no hard I try, I cannot get a girlfriend no matter how hard I try. I am terribly lonely and suffering beyond my limits. I cannot take this much longer. I contemplate suicide a lot. Why would God create me if I was to suffer for this long. I am nearly 30 years of age. Please God lift me out of this misery.

25. Could it be that Jesus was speaking of the reality of things without taking his later accomplishment on the cross into account?

26. I’m Christian, not Catholic, but conversations like this give me hope that all can find the truth. Not necessarily accept it, but find it, just as Jesus says, before the end comes.

27. How do you know what there is in hell… only The Virgin Mary Mother of God and God know what there is in hell… we should follow Jesus's teaching and not one who studied at a College and could be wrong.

28. It is taught in the catechism of The Catholic Church:
    Those who die with mortal sins on their souls will go to Hell
    In order to avoid this it is necessary to receive the graces and forgiveness one receives from the sacrament of confession and then receive the Eucharist
    “Unless one eats and drinks of my body and blood they will not receive eternal salvation “
    I pray for this Church which seems to appease evil rather than oppose it

29. So Catholics believe in purgatory which is not in the Bible but do not believe in hell which is in the Bible. There are people down there now. Look at 'hell testimony'.

30. This discourse re: existence of hell is so timely for my family – cuz we have been arguing at both ends of the spectrum! Now, there's that 'compromise' that there is 'hell' but that it is not a spatial thing. Thank you, Bishop Barron!

31. I hope and pray that all are saved, I pray for it daily; however, to take this lightly is insane. I have studied the Old and New Testaments in depth. God is great, but we should humble ourselves and fear the one who can cast sinners into hell. If we take it too lightly and make a mistake, there may not be a second chance. Now is our chance to accept the grace of God, confess, repent, and walk in his will, love God with all our Heart, and serve Him. The lukewarm may well regret their neglect. Why gamble when you cannot recover if you lose the bet?

Why would the saints bother to suffer so much if everyone goes to Heaven anyway? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvx3TLDdgkA

32. Robert, I call you this because Jesus calls us by our name. Your suggestion of praying the Latin prayer "Veni Creator Spiritus" has revealed so much to me. I will start by saying that Hell is a state immediately felt upon mortal sin in a state of consciousness of it. Many live in that state, in fact all who are in that state. And you mentioned that Jesus Christ would have had an incredible amount of hubris had he been just another prophet. but since he is the Messiach or "annointed one," and as the Logos as he spoke with not just logic but spiritually infused wisdom, it has been revealed to me that God the Father is the Pathos as he is the authority and that would make the Holy Spirit the Ethos which deals with emotions and the like. There is much more I have to reveal but for now this.

33. Many people will go to hell yes, BUT, many of them will only be there for a relatively short time. Even Satan, which will be condemned for which absolutely seems like eternity, will eventually be saved

34. Augustine implicitly and explicitly adheres to Church teaching, even in cases where in write or preaching he would (have) be(en) in contradicton with it. Strikingly he does so in the introduction of his last little book.

To put in this case on one line Augustinus and Thomas, like Bp. Barron does, seems to simple and untrue.
    Thomas does not adhere so called double predestination, the contrary.
    Augustine is alleged to have gone in that direction in some period of his life. Or, anyhow, others used his words to to sustain or "prove" that position.
    But see first sentence above.

Interesting description of 3 kinds of universal salvation in:

For those to whom it is given to believe them,
    Fatima – and other by Church as 'credible' approved apparitions of Our Lady –
    are strong argument against  Von Balthasar c.s.

35. Pray for Palestine's Catholics:

36. But why does hell even need to exist? For more than the fallen angels, at least? (who's reasons seem very odd, if they did not lack for anything in heaven)
    Why would they, or Satan, ever be granted any access to Earth?
    And which kinds of knowledge, besides lack of knowledge of good and evil, did Adam and Eve not have? Including of who Satan was, or the stakes?

37. Keep in mind that Jesus didn't speak English. You have to trust the translations. I have several Bibles in which the word hell is absent.

38. What’s the point in having a hell? Just torture? Because I don’t see that it solves any problems other than segregating the good monkeys from the bad ones. And even then, supposedly, god could just zap them out of existence right? That would be like me putting a bunch of monkeys in a zoo and then water boarding the ones I didn’t like. Imagine going to heaven and finding out your mom or wife didn’t make it. Good luck trying to be in a good mood for the rest of eternity. .

39. Yes people if his book is wrong he has no credibility so Barron and Bishop alike must keep you afraid of a place where his loving god will send you if you don’t listen to his ravings.Con men still pushing Satanic snake oil.

40. So you want everyone to be saved in heaven even those who can be potential demons creating more Havoc just as Lucifer did?

41. at the end of life you go to what you believe in, so yes it's not impossible to go to heaven or hell, it's your own hell if you strongly believe in it at the moment of your departure. Christianity institutionalized guilt as a virtue. I don't believe in hell or heaven, but I'm not an atheist.

42. I know this is an old video but the subject is very interesting so I'll give my two cents as a total layman who likes reading on this sort of thing.

I read somewhere (sorry I can't remember where) that some people believe that the idea that even some people will be eternally punished in hell is the height of human arrogance. Assuming that because God's justice is perfect all punishments he gives are proportional to the sin committed, then eternal hell would require one to eternally offend God. Thus to believe in eternal hell is to believe that humans are so important and powerful that we can eternally offend God.

I find that to be an interesting thought. I do tend towards the idea of a more Purgatory-like view of hell where you go to pay for your sins before moving on to Heaven rather than eternal hellfire. Anotherway to look at it is that God is the father and a father will scold his child and even spank them but he doesn't torture them.

43. God is Love if you are not in a feeling of Love you are automatically in a feeling of hell.
    That's how it was, that's how it is and that's how it always will be. <3

44. John 3: 3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Hebrews 9:27
    English Standard Version
    And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment

[Subject of Salvation is important, however every believer has more meaning & purpose to live here and accomplish on earth as scriptures below ]

2 Timothy 4:8
    In the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

James 1:12
    Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

Revelation 20:6
    King James Bible
    Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

45. Frankly with due respect , I believe it is better not to attempt to answer what the Bible does not reveal to us. Rather than to give answer on the assumption of possibility or probability with a reasonable hope of Universal salvation. This will give rise to the theological & psychological issues.

Deuteronomy 29:29
    "The secret things belong to the LORD our God, but the things revealed belong to us

Well, one day we all will know and be known when we come to His presence!

46. I think there are many who wish to go to heaven in order to gloat at the ones they are wishing to hell. I don't think that's the correct attitude.

47. Im a bit late to this but honestly its so very easy to reject God. So sure we hope nobody goes to Hell but looking at the world today it makes sense Christ said that the path to Hell is broad and the one to Heaven narrow.

48. heaven is a party all invited to share in.

Thats how I used to tell people who would get angry at non-beleivers when I was a youth. granted this was around the time of the Bush/Cheney years, when religion was often a talking point of the election. I knew christians my age back then who would get so angry when a non-beleiver rejected their evangelism. I told them, there was no need to be angry. sad maybe, but not angry. I would say

"think of salvation as a party that everyone is invited too, those who choose not to show up are going to miss out on the wonders and joy you and others get to share and experience. No need to be angry. If they reject the invitation, wish em well and move on. Its like asking a girl you like out. If she says no, keep it moving to the next one. (but then hey I've been single for almost a decade by choice)

glad to see another with similar thoughts

49. God doesn't want anyone to perish (end up in hell); each peson has freewill to accept or reject God. In the Bible in 2 Peter 3:9 “The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.” King James Version

50. thank you bishop barron for shedding light on this matter by tracing it back from the tradition up to the present sound theologians.

51. God is merciful indeed, but He is also just. So what does it mean to work out your salvation in fear and trembling? “The enemies of the Lord have lied to him, and their time shall be for ever.” Ps. 80:16

52. The ratio of souls in hell to heaven is 33 to 1. So think real hard about how you live your life. May Jesus save everyone in this comment section, Amen.

53. We do know that hell is real, the visions of Fatima have been approved, the CCC states that we affirm the existence of Hell, cmon Bishop

54. By C.S. Lewis -“There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in Hell, choose it. Without that self-choice there could be no Hell. No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy will ever miss it. Those who seek find. Those who knock it is opened.”

55. The notion of appropriate punishment for grave crimes is a reasonable one.  But infinite punishment for finite crimes?  What sort of justice is this?  Let's consider for a moment.  An omnipotent and omniscient being, who is supposedly able to foresee outcomes aeons before they actually take place, will consign to ETERNAL torment individuals guilty of disobedience to its will.  Only a pervert, entirely lacking in compassion, can construe that this scenario manifests the purpose and dynamics of the cosmos.  Goodness me, I'm absolutely delighted that my late beloved parents lapsed from their Catholicism as young adults and spared me this vile nonsense as I was growing up.

56. What about the great day of judgment when all who have ever lived fall on their faces and beg God for forgiveness? Is it too late, did I miss the cutoff date in the bible? Read Andrew Jukes book "The Restitution Of All Things" I'm asking questions, I'm not saying anything.

57. Love refused, or for me personally forgiveness delayed perhaps denied. Ok I do not want to carry a suitcase full of accusations. Let go and let God judge the matter. I can love another although I do not understand their behavior. I know that the behavior doesn’t deserve my attention. I know that all persons are on a trip. No need to be concerned that someone has a different trip. I tend to my trip. It is enough especially when not distracted by others. I am in the circle of love of Creator, Created, and process of Creating.

58. So all Catholics were be preaching in Hell? God, how i love dumb people. No one reads the bible and tries to preach the bible. How dumb people can be. First of all Hell does not exist. Bible does not say that Hell exists. Bible say that we go in grave and wait resurrection. And you still have idiots who preach that there are people in hell. Is everyone brain dead? Hell exists in Catholicism because Catholicism is mixture of Greco-Roman mythology and Bible. Just a little logic is what it needs to see similarity between Greco Roman mythology and Catholicism. In Matthew 10:28 says that we fear that who can destroy body and soul in Gehenna. And how can someone suffer for indefinite amount of time? God is sad every time He sees people not using their brains.

59. Actually found the Bishop's summary of Hell towards the end there quite useful. For me, the idea that a Good and pure God could possibly send someone to hell and turn His back on them for all eternity didn't feel right. The idea that we send ourselves to Hell via our acts in life and that the only thing that keeps us from leaving is ourselves also is brilliant. God is always willing to save us, providing that we are willing to help ourselves.

60. It's pretty simple to discern whether people are on their way to hell or not. Jesus said, "If you love me, keep my commandments." Jn. 14:15 Now if you look at their actions, are people keeping the commandments? If not, and they don't want to change their ways, even after they have been counselled, admonished, 'accompanied', it's sad to say but chances are, the majority won't change their ways on their death bed, when the demons are pulling out all the stops to take that soul with them.

61. Luke 3:6 And all flesh shall see the salvation of God.—- Why would Christ’s death not save everyone?If someone is in sin it can’t be free will?No one has free will until their in Christ,I think people don’t understand free will properly.So by justice if God saves one he must save all,and why would his grace not be effective?Is the evil in man more powerful then Christ?According to Augustine Christ loses because he can’t even save human beings who never even asked to be born with original sin,how can they be culpable?How can it be their fault?Christ says on the cross,father forgive them,they know not what they do.

62. What I have gathered from studying many NDE accounts and the comments of people like Amy Allan is that yes, God is love and he wants us back, but he also gave us freedom. That is not only his gift, it is the only way we can develop into what we are capable of being. And that's it… WE choose the road we walk down, and if we choose the dark road – greed, selfism, anger, hatred… then we get a dark end. God does not consign us to Hell, we condemn ourselves to it by our very actions. And Hell is simply the place where all the negative energy, all the negative souls go to chew one another for eternity. Terribly fitting, but terribly sad. I for one get no pleasure from their misery. Every soul lost is our collective failure.

63. Part of the joy of having seen the suffering of the damned. I can’t stop laughing at that one. I want to be as far away from the damned as heavenly possible I only want to see good and beautiful things I want to be embraced by God‘s glory and be with my loved ones I don’t want to have anything to do with the damned.

64. Emmanuel Swedenborg speaks a lot about heaven and hell and I’d like for you to do a video about his teachings.

65. According to the manual Swedenborg the holy or you are the farther away you are from evil and hell you are only a monks the most holy people we are with those that are like us and if we are in hell we’re basically with the things of this earth that kept us from God greed and lust gluttony anything that we’re addicted to here on earth is or hell when we die because that’s what we are given to keep us company.

66. Yep, the crisis in the Catholic Church goes beyond the sexual sins and cover-ups of the clergy to the teaching functions. Check out Catechism of Catholic Church #1033ff

67. I like Bishop Barron and his videos have played a role in the fact that I became Catholic in 2016. However, on this theological point I would depart. While I do believe God (in His love and mercy) desires all to be saved (and we should pray for the salvation of mankind), I think Jesus Himself prophesied clearly that some would be (very sadly) lost:

“Not every one who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.’" – Matthew 7:21-23 (RSV-CE)

68. Allegedly, Mary in Medjugorje said the greatest number of people who die go to Purgatory. The second greatest number go to hell. Only the smallest number go directly to heaven. Do the math….. Purgatory>Hell>Heaven. For 100 people, what's the least number that can go directly to heaven? (Purgatory=97, Hell=2, Heaven=1). What's the greatest number? (Purgatory=35, Hell=33, Heaven=32)
    Since people who go to Purgatory end up in heaven, the math gets more complicated when the question becomes "For 100 people, what's the least number of people who must end up in heaven?" To keep statement correct (Purgatory>Hell>Heaven), at least 50 people must go to Purgatory with Hell at 49, and Heaven at 1. So have hope! You have at least a 51% chance of ending up in heaven!