Bishop Barron on The Danger of Toying with Religion

Posted By on August 23, 2019

yeah just a few weeks ago I was in Spain with our word on fire team filming for our series and we went to some of the really great places in in Spain we were allowed to film in the Prado which is one of the great art museums in the world we filmed some canvases by Fra Angelico and Velazquez and others we went to Avila the hometown of Saint Teresa and saw the beautiful medieval wall the great 12th century Cathedral we went to Segovia to the tomb of Saint John of the Cross one of my favorite spots was Toledo which has one of the really great cathedrals in Europe we filmed that that beautiful gold and rare were those that was built by the kings and queens of Spain anyway strikes you is to enter into Spanish culture is to be awash in a culture that is marked by the Catholic imagination well but halfway through our trip one of our team members turn to the sound man whom we hired for that day and he was a man about 35 or so a Spaniard and we said well what do you make of all this splendor that we’ve been taking in and filming and he said well you Americans are kind of a young culture so you’re still beguiled by all this we’ve had a lot of religion we’ve kind of seen through it now we think of it as kind of a colorful toy that we take out and play with from time to time well that line of his has just stayed my mind first of all I mean the condescension of it you you poor naive Americans but more to the point the gross secularism that is evident in a statement like that this sort of just bracketing of the religious dimension and here’s what strikes me go back to the 18th century 19th century you have a lot of critics of religion but boy did they take it seriously you know Colin – Nietzsche Marx and many others Freud they went after religion with a lot of energy because they saw it as something very important even though they were dismissing it the attitude now and this man’s attitude if the stats are right is pretty common in Europe strikes me is even more dangerous because it is so bland the great questions you know about why God meaning just kind of brushed aside as unimportant what struggling to was how congruent that attitude is with many of the views I see on my youtube forum so I’ve done many videos on on culture and religion many on God and the new atheism and people respond you know often very critically but what strikes me is this attitude of who knows where’s the universe come from the things that religion describes ultimate meaning yon who knows who cares let’s just move on that kind of oh I could care less sort of secularism not a hostility to religion so much but just a bracketing of religion and again I think that is a more pernicious and more dangerous attitude not just for the church though it’s somewhat dangerous for the church it’s dangerous for those who hold it and here’s why like it or not we are wired for God I know I’ve said that before but it bears repeating because we are hard-wired for fulfillment and that means ultimate truth it means the truth itself that’s what we want it means the beautiful itself that’s what we want it means goodness itself were hardwired for this fulfillment when you shut that dimension down and you say who knows who cares you are doing damage whether you know it or not immediately you’re doing damage to your own soul now see here I’ll appeal to Freud who saw something that’s really right I think mainly that repressed feelings don’t go away they go underground and they come up usually in some twisted or dangerous way now we all know that the same is true of our deepest religious feelings and religious impulses if I just say who cares turn away from those questions they don’t go away they go underground and they will come up because Nature has its revenge they will come up in some distorted way now there are a lot of versions of that I need the most telling is addiction we’re wired for God we all know that you bracket god you’re going to choose some substitute you just will now pleasure becomes your God liquor becomes your God sex becomes your God power becomes your God whatever it is you take some finite thing and you say that’s the satisfaction of my ultimate desire it won’t work it can’t work and that’s precisely why we become so obsessed with these things we focus on them we center around them if I just get more alcohol I get more pleasure I get more power I’ll be satisfied and of course we won’t and that’s the tragedy of it the bottom line is this to treat religion as a toy as our sound man in Spain suggested it’s not only intellectually irresponsible it’s a recipe for disaster at the level of the soul

1. Bishop Barron, I just wanted to say a very grateful THANK YOU for all your wonderful, illuminating, intellectually stimulating videos….real food for the soul. I'm a Catholic who has come back to the church after an absence of almost 30 years. I found my way back 10 years ago, it has been a slow process and trying to re-establish my 'true' faith has been a struggle amongst all the habits, good and bad. which I have picked up over the 'missing' years !- and I still have a long way to go, BUT…the journey is amazing, beautiful, heart opening and it is better then the feeling of coming home. Had I had it all over to do again, I would most definitely be heading for Seminary, without a question of a doubt. At the age of 56, I am now asking God…What next, use me, guide me, open your heart to me. Your videos and books are a real god-send, thank you again. The Catholic church needs more men like your self. God Bless. Rolf Lorenz.

2. Interesting, considering the current wave of drug addiction sweeping the entire globe and simultaneous rebellion against religion (I use the word religion because I've noticed many are not offended by the word God as much as the institution of religion and what they perceive that to be).

3. Smart man. That's one of the things I love about Catholicism. You can have a rational argument with most priests, especially Jesuits. Try that with some of these protestant preachers. They start foaming at the mouth,lol.

4. Like it or not Father Barron you are speaking on behalf of an organisation that STILL protects paedophiles and we will never forget it.

5. I find so much needed clarity through your videos. I've been on a path of faith for a few years now, and I feel like your work helps me see the right path. Hoping to go through baptism when the time is right ~

6. +Bishop Robert Barron I am not hardwired for God . . . thanks for trying. God is a delusion, you don't care about the truth. You know the "right" words to say . . . Ignoramus with glasses.

7. Thank you Fr. Barron. I wonder what draws angry, argumentive unbelievers here, and to keep dialoging seems to be a sad cry for help. I remember growing up in a very dysfunctional, alcoholic home and being so angry, but hurting at the same time. God is so merciful. I pray for those souls who's pain manifests as anger.

8. How can the sound guy really call himself a Spaniard, when Spanish culture is literally founded on and influenced at every level by Catholicism?

9. Please God help convert these stupid ignorant so called people who label themselves as "smart secularists" (the dull, disrespectful arrogant and the ungrateful) that mock you and your Church. Let them see how idiotic they are and wrong,open their eyes and closed minds to see the evil of their ways.

10. Dave P, as opposed to what, our government now who is allowing gays and lesbians to adopt children and teaching them to be perverted and twisted? Abusing them? Trying to turn their boys into girls? Read it here if you don't believe me: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/well-stop-puberty-so-tommy-can-become-tammy/story-e6frea6u-1226169488882 Is that your salvation? The Church is founded by Christ who is both God and man. Like Christ, it is both a divine and human institution, and where there is humanity, there is sin. The Church has never claimed to be free from sin. Far from it. That's why we have sacramental confession. Judas Iscariot, who followed Christ, turned him over. Sin has lurked at the door of God forever. The great thin about the Church is that it preaches the Christ who forgives—all of us, just for the asking!! Admit it to yourself, your little tirade against an institution that has lasted for 2000 years and that Christ himself said would never be defeated is your pathetic excuse and justification not to face the reality of death and eternity. That won't fly when you are standing before God face to face. He created you out of love, not out of some warped need to have creatures worship him or because he is lonely. If that were the case, he'd have forced all of us to love him, and people like you wouldn't exist because he would have destroyed them. Instead, he allows evil that he may remain hidden. It takes faith to find him and trust in him, to know of his love. I have seen and felt God work in my life in so many ways I would be a complete idiot to deny him. God is not some empty concept, he is infinite reality, and why there is existence. God made you free. It is your greatest gift. It is also the first gift lost in Hell. In Hell, you can't exactly say, OK, I want a break now. Let's go to McDonald's. No, every day you are completely subject to the slavery of Hell's punishments. Heaven is just the opposite. Be careful of your free will. It will save you or damn you, not God.

11. I agree, Robert, it's silly to "toy" with religion. The verifiable evidence indicates that it's more productive and far healthier for all of us simply to ignore and to abandon supernaturalism completely. Why go half way?

12. I couldn't agree more; it's amazing how many people in the West have an Agnosticism about the most important questions of our Universe and existence.

13. Speaking of addiction, I'm thoroughly addicted to your videos. I have recently come to Christ (or should I say He came to me?), and find your talks extremely edifying. Thank you very much for what you do. – s

14. Wonderful, wonderful. God bless you, Your Grace! Though the world can sometimes weary us with its thanklessness and strife, I hope you know how many people are thankful for you. May God continue His work through you!

15. I am a new Catholic as of June last year! I had waited so long to find a spiritual home. I got abused in a Pentecostal church when I was 17: named, shamed, and got excommunicated for confessing my sins. The Catholic school and associated parish church I was involved with at the time treated me with so much kindness, dignity and respect even when I told them my problems – it was re-humanising.
    I love the depth of the Mass, the liturgy, the Sacraments…. God has blessed me so much in the past year.

16. Thank you Father! Very accurate, clear and beautifull point on really important matters. God bless your work on youtube!

17. Are you saying America isn't young naive and arrogant? Ask most people in other countries about American tourists. 😊

18. He is describing American culture in a nutshell. The mania for wealth power and prestige…. not to mention entertainment and pleasure are evident.

19. I want to give me Honest view, I believe in God, I believe in Jesus, I
    read bible, Many thing that I learn in the bible did not been teach in
    the Church, and when I attend Church the Pastor will give a speech for
    90 minutes!!!!! he will draw a simple word of Bible and talk for 90
    Minutes!!!!! is that boring? If you want to learn Bible… you end up of learning nothing from the Church for your entire life!!!!!! Jesus have teach us to Pray that God is not
    Deaf, He can hear us, So do we as a Human, When someone talk the a
    simple issue for 90 minutes, it make most people boring, I just hope
    Church will think of new activities than can bring people back to
    Church, To make Church feel more than a home, Come on, It s not easy to
    be pastor or Priest, Is time to reform the Church

20. Here is another thing, there is a joy associated with God. It is difficult to place into words. Perhaps it is the reason some women enter religious life.

21. Hi Father Barron. I am not a catholic, but I am a Christian. I am enthralled with your teaching and want to thank you for sending out the message of Christ's love via the net and You Tube. You are a blessing to me and countless others. Please continue your efforts – they are bringing souls to Christ.

22. Freud?  Really?  If the repression of feelings is that dangerous why go to confession?  Why not just get your rocks off however you can?  "We all know" that denying ourselves is unhealthy.  Wait?  I thought Jesus was all about self denial?

23. As I was listening to this U could not help but think about the newest UK Rowling movie Fanastical Beasts. Any thoughts Bishop?

24. 2:51 The phrase is "I couldn't care less", not "I could care less". The latter means that you still care a little, therefore there is a possibility that you could care less than you already do. The former means that you literally do not care at all.

25. The good bishop has a very engaging demeanor and personality. I've noticed from several of his videos he uses his likable personality as a trojan horse to hoodwink 'unguarded' people into subtlety accepting (inserting) completely unfounded belief systems. He is like a brilliant hypnotist. Dangerous to the unreflective masses.

Absence of religious belief and belief in God leads to addictions he says? What about countless religious people who struggle with alcoholism and sex addiction including his fellow priests? What about saints who struggled with addictions and atheists who dont struggle with addiction?

He comes across as very intelligent and articulate yet his arguments are frequently based on false premises, biased statements and partial truths. Very deceptive but engaging. One of the most dangerous combinations in a person with so much public influence. No wonder the church has him out there.

26. "We are wired for God, if you bracket God, you are going to choose some substitute, and that substitute is Addiction!" he says. There are no deeply religious people who struggle with alcoholism and sex addiction for e.g? I personally know several including 12 step attendees who are deeply Catholic and also some priests who struggle with both.

To the Europeans he says; "To treat religion as a toy…is a disaster at the level of the Soul." The Europeans also seemed not to have forgotten the incessant religious wars between Catholics and Protestants, and corruptions within the church. Maybe that is another reason why they are so leery of religion. One of the reasons given for America's founding according to the history books was to get away from these conflicts.

Beliefs are substitutes for lack of direct experience and are rooted in the unconscious mind giving rise to an individuals subjective version of 'reality.' Talk to a Sunni moslem, Roman Catholic, Born again believer, Atheist, Buddhist etc. and you will get multiple accounts of reality. The greater the felt uncertainty, the greater the individual is attached to their belief systems and the deeper it forms their personal identity.

Does religion produce solace to some? Of course, but it also creates oppression in others with its specific moral codes. Consider people with homosexuality for e.g. who feel oppressed by religious strictures against those life styles within Christianity, Islam and Orthodox Judaism.

The statement that humans are wired for God does not show any clear and direct evidence. It would be far more correct to say humans are wired for happiness (desire to feel good permanently), for that is what all are searching for (even in most of the animal kingdom). Does that happiness come from God? If so, which God? YHWH, Jesus, Allah, Shiva, Shakti, Brahma, Buddha? Probably for a few rare individuals but not for all. Lord Jesus never even promised escape from life's torments, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Matt: 16:24

Religion hardly brings lasting happiness/fulfillment due to unconscious identification with thoughts and mental concepts of time. Latter is the genesis of all mental and emotional suffering. Though Religion might offer some temporary solace to a few, especially after middle age toward the inevitable losses people have to go through, it is hardly a real and lasting panacea.

The Europeans are best directed to get away from adding to more beliefs systems and thoughts in their unconscious minds and find liberation from this whole identification process. Unfortunately the latter is not an easy fix, however it is a lasting one with immeasurable benefits to the individual and society.

27. I believe in God today, but this wasn't always the case. I think when I was young, I had this unrealistic expectation of God, that I should feel a gust of wind or have a certain dream or see other signs in my life. I realize now that God doesn't work like that, that the obligation goes the other way, the person must seek out God, not God seek out the person.

28. This is a problem with many of my peers today (college age people). They're so quick to brush off these questions like they don't matter. It's really sad to see so many of my friends turn away from God.

29. I strongly believe that organised religion is on the point of collapse due in no small part to the power of the internet to aid social interactions. In many ways religion is like communism – a system conditioned into the young at a very young age and then maintained through the disguise of traditions and fear. A system which is there but nobody really understands why it is there given nobody really wants it. Just as the protests in Gdansk initiated the fall of communism so something will happen that does the same to religion. A head of steam is building up I think. Something will happen in the next 100 years. Like smoking it may just become "uncool" but also knowing the evidence that smoking kills!

30. Father your on fire! I’ve just found word on fire while watching Catholic answers videos. Thank you for these video and feeding my soul. Will be praying for you. St. Thomas Aquinas pray for Bishop Barron!

31. Thank you Father for your beautiful words on the necessity of all people to be joined to the one true church established by Christ. Your clarity is an inspiration. You continue to be in my prayers.

32. I absolutely agree about the need to worship. I believe God indeed has hardwired us for it. I think particularly it is most manifested and communiism; without being able to worship God one worships the state.

33. Yes, apathy is extremely dangerous. And a big part of this started, also, with Church goers in the last several decades. This is how many intellectual elitists get their power over society and has led to the most immense atrocity crime against humanity in the history of the world aimed at the most helpless. And to think not countering in at least equal measure with a huge light on the hillside, giving glory to God is not harmful — then one does not only minimize the humanity of the helpless children; but also the harm to the conscience of the adults. Yes, this is on all moral fronts that the natural law reflects. But as part of 'We The People,' we need as an immense united front as we can muster. This greatly helps evangelization. I find it sad how such an immense thing as the 'culture of death,' similar to what grew in Germany during the 1930s, and The Soviet Union in the 1920s is relegated to just one of many issues. History shows just how dangerous not being zealous for The Sacredness of Life is. We need this promoted by us in every facet of society. How did Jesus Christ evangelize? He helped the brokenhearted, and we are supposed to do the same in proportion to the need, n'est pas?
    The secular world sees a fragmented Church in the name of tolerance not doing much to counter those who claim to be part of The Church — actually promoting secular diverse claimed morality. They relish these divisions and lack of courage throughout Christendom. God help us!

34. As someone who is agnostic but has been studying philosophy for years now, centering my investigation on onto-theology, the philosophy of religion and metaphysics and has deeply struggled with the question of God and the question of religion, beginning my search as a naive but inquisitive protestant as I was raised, coming about an arrogant atheism and now settling uneasily on indecision, notout of indifference, but from real understanding of the true depth of the issue in contrast with my own ignorance, I couldn't agree more!

35. Hi Bishop Barren! Can I do your sound next time please! Not only am I’m a pro but have all my own kit and I’ll be hanging on your every word !!

36. I strongly find Robert Barron’s videos encouraging and helpful and useful. Especially this one. Toying with religion is no laughing matter. Religion is a serious thing to take. I don’t make jokes about my Catholic devotions. Whether it’s the rosary or the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.

37. Maybe, Bishop Barron, the whole reason for the surprising rise of what might be classified as "religiously themed mythologies" so common in society is a form of what might be classified as a type of a "populist revolt against not so much materialism, but an overly hateful anti-spiritual-sin-movement" within the aforementioned person. I know myself the deep hatred of a revolutionary, as mentioned by my Seton Catholic Homeschool books, in courses I've been auditing to learn the material; Most of this is rooted in an overt goal of eradicating the mere idea and ability to engage in "gang favors" (a stupid move to carry out to be sure), solution: eradicate the gangs of the next life. To do this move, it proves necessary to utterly wipe out the entire next life- endorsement of the Church's regulations even gets to the point in such people that we end up truly hateful of God, and all our neighbors, for even having a spiritual essence. I do not object to this on the surface, or even deeper down; however, the end result is very much akin to what the KGB tried to do to any and all religions- and they were the worst human monsters imaginable as far as behavior goes!
    This movement I'm clarifying the viewpoints of is not at all in favor of "gang favors" but completely against them- even to the degree as to seek to wipe out the entire next world, in something best described as a "deathstar strike", to clarify the finality and violence of the act; a single shot to obliterate the planet of the next world! Not at all endorsement, but classification.
    What this rise of this "religiously themed mythologies", which includes things like Star Trek Classic- a story with a definite set of Christian values rooted in it, especially with episodes like "Day of the Dove"… the monster therein is clearly a really self-messed-up-spirit (you should know what I mean; but to those who don't, I mean basically a "gangster spirit"- a fallen one; for gangsters is basically what they are when they go bad, in how they operate) who's kidnapping the ship and carrying out endless fights for its own sadistic amusement- a kind of analogous state to Perdition; think "wasteful violence for its own sake" as it were. Some of these are also best thought of as "new worlds to be subjugated" much the same way the Conquistadors should, if functioning wisely: once truly the dominant faction, use that to protect the missionaries to develop a base for further settlement, when expanding into the New World historically.
    There is benefit to anything that aids in cultivating a perceptive akin to what Christ desired, if for no other reason as it benefits ourselves when we do so. If for no other reason, I'd agree with them specifically because our beliefs do not impact God's designs one tiny bit… what we choose to see doesn't change His "written reality" at all, nor can it- it only dicatates if we're in line with that self-same reality.
    I'm with you in condemning playing around with religion, more than you know; but if anything, it's that forbidding of exploring religion that repulses me from the topic, at least slightly; and believe me, the absolute dominant faction is Christ's regulations, as explained by the Church- anything outside it is automatically slated for extinction, including those who leave that nonsense, once you're in it, you're written off to die- forever… it is literally that you (the ubiquitous you here), if ever fallen from true religion- forced to or not, no longer qualify as any kind of human, especially if you're somehow in any kind of power- that combination makes the person only ever a member of what was once classified as a "penal battalion" (suicide troops, basically), or "expendables"; these are literally intended to die in the conflict, to be killed by their coworkers, even higher-importance targets than enemies; kind of "political prisoners" if you please. A whole variety fit into this: career immorals, emotions, any kind at all of corrupt official or civil authority of comparable level or higher than the corrupt one, any corrupt one that is, and anyone at all who engages in any kind of false worship at all is immediately slated to be killed and incinerated as a direct consequence.
    Oh, and about the moral breakdown regarding sexual morals: we must intensify the teachings severity, especially if it shames them into not returning due to their treasonous activities, or any rebellion against the commandments to avoid any sexual contact outside of marriage; you cannot go to strict on this matter… quite the opposite: we have to always intensify the condemning of any and all sexual activity in any way broken from the ability to create human life, as totally and completely ever wrong- no matter what! In fact, celibacy is the only way to go… and must be the core of all relationships, no matter people's ability to cope with that rule, if they cannot, then they do not get access to any kind of forgiveness- a vital stipulation, no matter the person's ability! We must never cease to step up the punishments of all those who in any way engage in any kind of sexually immoral behavior, knowingly or not- ever more severe than the regular penances they did in the Middle Ages to reform society, particularly now since the rebellion is increasing, the discipline must be intensified, no matter the ability to bear the consequences, the more people rebel against the truth, the more it shall be forcibly administered to them, in ever-increasing imposition.
    Let Catholic values be an imposition, it's always worth it to impose morals on people who resist them- especially when they are driven to revolt against them; then it's all the better to force those values on them, particularly if they do not agree for any reason whatsoever! It's the values that matter, people simply are not important, but moral reality is… people don't matter, values do, especially virtues.

38. Did it ever occur to you supernaturalists that this erroneous "wired for a god" notion is really about agency-seeking? If you were a hominid on the plains of Africa, you'd certainly need to be aware of your environment, and it would be much better to postulate agency falsely than to be eaten. So simple. So based upon everything we know of ethology.

39. It is certainly true that hardly anyone under 50 here in Spain is interested in religion, and the sound man was right that europeans stand aghast at the febrile rush of american politicians to associate themselves with evangelical foolishness, but one must take into account the spanish church's slavish catering to the political Right, including endorsing the long dictatorship of the 20th century – a shameful tradition which one is sorry to see being vilely continued by "traditional" catholic media in many places. The church blew it, in a word, and stands here unmasked as the chosen agent of social control of the Right. No wonder it has been seen through!

40. I am European, I don’t think like that about religion. I take it very seriously!!! But I have to admit that secularism is big in Europe.

41. I am European, I don’t think like that about religion. I take it very seriously!!! But I have to admit that secularism is big in Europe.

42. Jesus is the only one who can save you from hell he ia the truth religion is a way to hell jesus is the only lord and saviour he is the king of all kings he is the only way no man comes to the father except through him alone

43. Lots of nonsense being spoken here.

“Wired for god” , which god? I think psychologists would more accurately say we have a tendency hyperactive “false” agency detection. To say we are all wired for god and we all know that is a baseless assertion not grounded in empirical evidence.

You do most atheists a disservice saying they’re atheism is shallow and ill considered. This is a logical fallacy (straw man argument).

You claim religion is a path to truth. That’s simply not true. There is no rational reason on which to base such a claim.

So if you can’t demonstrate gods are real do we derive other benefits from religion even if the premises behind these religions are false?

I don’t think this is the case. Social cohesion can be equally well served by adopting a humanist philosophy as the vast majority of atheists do.

This video was far from intellectual. To be honest most thinking Catholics should find it embarrassing.

44. Wired for God? I don't think we are born with many wires and it is the parents and those who have control over us who do the wiring.

45. Secularists are so boring. I love being Catholic and having interesting passionate priests like yourself. Thank you. Jesus is Lord.

46. So many Hollywood millionaires kill themselves
    So many famous rock n roll singers kill themselves
    So many celebrities kill themselves.

47. Love your videos when you mentioned you read the comments I figured I would ask devoted Christian who loves catholic art but am always cautious Cuz of the scriptures against images of God statues of bronze I have heard of one like don't call other men father but those I heard Jesus say myself sorry for grammer

48. I am not a catholic but i watch bishop Barron for his wisdom. I just wanted to say it’s no wonder that AA is all based in God.

49. So true. My early life did not include God, I went for power, money and pleasure. You are absolutely right when you said if you don't have God you will replace him with something. Thankfully I have been forgiven and my life is God. Thank you for all you do for us. I watch you almost every day

50. Yess,not play with religion.Stay catholic,this church kill million christians,women,cathars…but stay catholic and stay stupid!!))

51. Thats funny that I came to the same conclusions looking at the guys at the bottom, addicted ones. Often they are the smart guys, but they are missing something. I formulated it like that: The most spiritual types are the most prone to all sorts of addictions, if they live without proper structure of values and being. They see misery of the world and withing their worldview they cannot handle it. They just desintegrate into complete nihilism, renunciation of everything and destruction.

52. Spain, The Inquisition? Friends of my family lived in Spain for a time. They described Communion as a stampede during Mass.

53. To all the haters out there especially haters of The one and only Holy Catholic Church. You were lead here for a reason!!!!!! God Bless

54. Gross secularism? I’d say gross Catholicism. People are in fact hard wired for truth, truth and evidence. Where’s your proof? Look how much easier your job would be if you had proof instead of asking people for faith in what you say.

55. Spain lived under a right wing dictatorship for a good part of the 20rh century, the Catholic Church backed Franco, that drove Spaniards away from religion.

56. Religion is an arrogance, because it pretends to knowledge in areas where we are in fact completely ignorant.  The wise person will wonder and marvel at the mysteries of existence, but the religious person, on the other hand, will subscribe to accounts which are unproveable because, fearful of their own and their loved ones' mortality,  they WANT to believe them.  Much better to be humble in non-belief than self satisfied or self deluding in belief, I'd suggest.

57. This is true. Not caring about God is scary. It will ruin your soul and make you open to the devil. To act so blasé about religion risks eternal damnation.

58. Too bad you didn't ask him what he meant and get him to talk more about his attitude.
    Religion is interesting, to a point. Tons of stories to read; parables, allegories, historical, crazy and messed up; but not boring. But it can be confusing and without answers, it's easy to give up on. So many denominations and so many people trashing other denominations. Having to deal with smugness in disciples. And of course, the disappointment of religious institutions acting above the law and covering up their crimes.
    I guess what I'm saying is, this is just not good enough.

59. Hi Fr Brown, I used to be a Catholic in fact my Father was a priest. In my twenties I converted to Islam, one of the many things that attracted me was their recognition of the validity of others faiths( I know some the Wahab is etc see differently). Our scholars say the same as you, jettison God and you will make a false God. What is the Catholic Churches view on other faiths, I think it has become more open am I right ?

60. Back in college time, I was toying with religions thinking all paths (religions) would lead you to the Truth. Now, I only think Christ is the only way to the Truth, and everything else will lead you to Hell.

61. I clearly can’t speak for the Spaniard. But, I take his point to mean organized religion, not faith. I find the organizational part of my faith – religion – too often dysfunctional, too clerical and lost in its rules. I am trying to pull together an effort to bring to life “The Joy Of Love” . I hear from the pulpit how we need to evangelize, follow Christ…, but the incredible organizational resistance is beyond belief. The common refrain “What you are proposing is too big.” What they want is four week, one evening a week talk. As the Good Bishop points out in another video on what he found compelling in Chapter 7 of the Exhortation, was the Pope’s awareness of learning theory.

Francis understanding of how transitioning from hearing to internalizing requires a process. A once a week lecture for four weeks ain’t going to do it.

So, going back to Spaniard and my take, our faith is often tested, not in a good way, by organized religion and we end up thinking it is a toy that only those who preside over can use it for their own purposes. It is not seen as a shared experience.

62. " Having a form of godliness ,but far from The Power of GOD ; from such turn away"( 2 Timothy 3:5). Jesus Saves, neither Satan nor False Religion!! That includes Satanism, Mormonism, Islam and Judaism, Wiccan, Buddhism, and Protestant" Christianity". BEWARE!!

63. Bishop Barron, I have noticed an attitude amongst atheists even here in the United States that the whole "religion thing" was settled by science long ago. They dismiss it out of hand and think it is irrelevant in a hand-wavy kind of way. Of course, if God doesn't exist then one has no morals but only ethics. I tell them that they can't be so sure about their facts. I wonder how their lives would be different if they would only open their minds to reconsider the existential "God problem". Not every atheist turns to drugs or alcohol or some other substitute for God. The Secular Humanists believe that science ethics are enough. What are your thoughts on this? Thank you.

64. People pray and get no response. God requires a LOT of prayer not just a few calls for help thru the day. There is no formula to prayer but it is NOT casual. It is intentional and serious.